What to do French cut rack of pork

Trunks

Take a breath!
Picked up a nice French cut rack of pork and wondering how to cook it , has anyone smoked it then finished on hi heat to crisp it?

What internal temp do I cook to? Also if I smoke what woos would be nice and even more important a rub it paste for it

Thanks

You can smoke it, or roast it hot. I take it to 150°F and let it rise slowly to done. However, that can be a little pink for some. 165°F is the official IT.

I actually prefer it roasted on the hot side, but, if you smoke and reverse sear, I would think it would be great.

if you have a rotissiere (weber kettle) i marinate it in applejuice / apricot necter and garlic, salt sugar brine overnight and roast it over the coals with oak cherry and hickory. put on a nice thick crusty rub and slow roast that bad boy over center indirect until she hits about 140. let it rest on the spit till cool, remove and slice into nice chops. My sides were acorn squash quaters drizzled with butter. brown sugar, maple syrup s and p . Oven roasted, brussle sprouts sliced and roasted with bacon and honey, and Oven roasted red potatoes with garlic butter and herbs d provance.

the meal did not suck.......

Personally I am against smoking pork loin because it is too lean. I'd roast the rack or preferably cut it up, brine it, and grill it as individual chops.

Edit: if you really want to smoke it I would smoke it to like 125ish then bake to get a nice crust and a temp of 140 since the oven is easier to manage and I can throw on the broiler if I am not getting the crust I want in time.

I like the reverse sear, indirect in the smoke till about 14-145, then over a searing fire to crust. Prefer pecan/cherry wood mix. With pork loin I usually do a rub with Kosher salt, pepper, garlic.
As long as not overcooked, your chops will be superb.

I cooked a rack Monday night on a Primo grill. 3# rack cooked indirect at 275-300 with apple wood for 1 1/2 hours to 140 IT, Raise temp to 350 went direct for +- 30 minutes till IT was 150. Glazed with an apple jelly type glaze, covered with foil and let it rest 20-30 minutes.

Family loved it

thanks everyone

ill set up my kettle for the snake method w/ apple wood and go indirect then direct for some char.

what many coals do i need per layer for the snake? its getting colder here also if that make diff

2-2-1 on the coals? 3-2-1 maybe?

Last one I did I brined overnight - put on a good rub - and smoked naked until it hit 145 or so

I bought two six bone racks for Thanksgiving. I'll be rubbing them with an herb butter and garlic paste and let them sit overnight in the fridge. Then will roast them in the Akorn with some apple chunks at around ~300 to no higher than 145 and rest them under a foil tent. Although this is not a pic of a Frenched rack, it IS a bone in loin roast.

pig_zpsbcmdo6ap.jpg

Brine and smoke. Is it a full rack of 13+ bones? Making it into a nice crown would be an awesome presentation!

Back