Visiting Philly from overseas... a few shop and joint recommendations?

longwayfromhome

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hi there

I'll be in Philly for the week next week. I wanted to take the opportunity to get samples of the cream of the crop of the various rubs and also, try the local Q. I have my eye on Fette Sau (in Fishtown I think)... any other must do places? When I lived there I didn't find much I liked in the area close to Center City.

Is there a BBQ supplies place that would have a good selection of rubs? I found one out in Shillington, and I may be going to Reading, so that would be a possibility. Rubs/sauces can be hard to get overseas... some are available in local shops that are dealing with US brands for expatriate Americans, but most suppliers in the US don't/can't transact with darned furn'ers.

I am stopping in SF on the way thru and I hear there is a good BBQ joint over in Oakland.

Mmmm.... Q-time!

TIA.

Hmm I didn't know Philly had a fette sau. I know of the one in NYC.

Philly is a town known for its sandwiches. Need to try the cheesesteak sandwich but more so you need to go to the terminal market and find Tommy Dinic's and ask for the roast pork broccoli rabe and sharp provolone sandwich.

As for cheesesteak its any place really. Walk in and if it smells good and the line has 6 people or more then its good. The tourist place is the pats and geno's fued. two places across the street from each other. Tony Lukes to a lesser extent and his stuff is decent. He also makes a pork sandwich.

Pretzels Pretzels Pretzels. Find yourself some pretzels. You can't miss them if you walk down the street.

Fatback Joe has been on TV. Although I have heard mixed reviews. Each place will probably have their own rub to sell you prepackaged.

If you coordinate with a company here on the brethren they can next day or 2nd day air your rub to the hotel for you.

Enjoy yourself.

Thanks Skip... having lived a decade in Philly, I got the cheesesteak thing down pretty well. Yes, I'll use my daughter's address in Roxborough, but hoping for a local shop to see the stuff live, always fun to eye-ball it. Ahhh, Reading Terminal Market, a must visit every year when I return.

Oh so you know the town. I did a web search but couldn't come up with a place. Something to look for is a hot sauce or spice place. Seems the hot sauce novelty offers a place for rubs to be sold.

http://www.suziehotsauce.com/

About 45 minutes north of philly. Good reviews

Fette Sau, in my opinion is overpriced. I've had great and I have had mediocre. Like any other place keeping the meat over time degrades it to some level where it may not be as good as fresh cooked. The bonus here is a small selection of well crafted beers.

There is also Sweet Lucy's near the Tacony/Palmyra Bridge. Simple but good, again, I have had mediocre here as well, but paid a lot less (LOL).

Philly is known for it's cheese steaks, save room to sample them. Pat's and Geno's are virtually across from each other and have their own following. Pat's chops the meat before it goes on the sandwich whereas Geno's leaves the pieces whole. Specify the type of cheese and study the menu while in line. They move like a well timed assembly line and any hesitation stops production.

Also visit the Reading Terminal Market, they have a lot of Philly's favorites including quality Amish made sausage. Also try the Amish "home style" restaurants if you have a chance.

For BBQ Supplies try these....

Tastylicks BBQ Supply
214 W. Lancaster Ave.
Shillington, Pa. 19607 (Shillinton is almost a suburb of Reading)
610-796-2527

Firecraft BBQ Supply
1028 Saunders Ln
West Chester, PA 19380
Phone:(800) 745-6109

I highly recommend OakRidge Rubs, Blues Hog BBQ Sauces, and Head Country BBQ Sauce. Both sell the suggested sauces, but only Tastylicks sells OakRidge Rubs.

Hey Ralph - How long have you been gone??

If you are going to have wheels stop by Jimmy's BBQ in Malvern - it's in the West Gate Shopping Center. Good Q and the owner is a good guy. If you go, tell him I said Hi and GET THE BACON!!!!!
Tasty Licks aka Fred's Music & BBQ is a good stop, they have plenty of rubs and sauces.

Safe Travels.

Thanks everyone... am in SF on the way over. Have tried two places so far - Memphis Millie's and the 4505. The brisket was excellent at MM and the brisket and ribs were terrific at the 4505. The staff at both places were exceedingly friendly, and quite willing to talk BBQ with a foreigner. Beginning to get Q overload, but must soldier on manfully, heading for the Philly hotspots. Will report back in a week.

Well, it is now a week later and back home this morning from Philly via LAX. I had a great visit and increased my knowledge of commercial BBQ quite a bit (which was what I was hoping to do). I am kicking myself for the 12 years I spent in the US and all the BBQ joints I visited, without then having a more critical/experienced/interested eye :cry:. Anyway, I'm now working hard to make up for it. I tried to do something BBQ-ish each day in order to keep climbing the BBQ curve - in this I was relatively successful. I was 2 days in SF, then 5 in Philly.

Fri 21: Arrived midday, and that evening tried Memphis Minnie's on 576 Haight in SF: tried the pulled pork, brisket, chicken and SL ribs, with m'n'c and slaw. I liked the brisket in particular, moist, un-sauced, flavorful and sliced. I would certainly go back for the brisket.

Sat 22: Morning: At the farmers market at the Ferry Building in SF, principally to try the porchetta sammie from Roli-Roti. Well, if you haven't tried one, then you really should - it might just be the best sandwich in the world! Not really BBQ, I know (electric rotisserie). Whatever, easily as good as a great smoked meat BBQ sandwich I think. They sell 650 of these on a Saturday morning at this location.

Afternoon: Went to 4505 BBQ on Divisadero @ Grove. Only tried the brisket and SL ribs, which were outstanding, especially the ribs. I'd be back there in a heartbeat. Lot of people were also having their burger, which my friend said is probably the best in SF, which is saying something coming from him.

Had OD on meat a bit and visited friends in the arvo so missed a visit to Phat Matt's in Oakland.

Tue 23: Arrived 3am into Philly on Monday, so didn't reboot BBQ mode until Tuesday evening when I visited Deke's BBQ in Roxborough, mainly because it was near to where we were staying. Great location, really good atmosphere I thought. Tried the ribs and brisket, both very good, though I like to add sauce myself. Didn't try the sides as it was late and the jet lag was getting to me. Deke answered my questions and was most forthcoming for a busy man. As we return to Philly each year at least once if not more, this spot will always be on my hit list.

Wed 24: Tried Fette Sau in the evening. Had pretty high expectations of this as one critic rated the NYC location one of the top three in NYC (along with Mighty Quinn's and Hill Country BBQ). I thought the old converted industrial building was pretty neat, a great Philly-style location. The brisket was perfect and the sides (slaw, potato salad and something else) were excellent. The ribs though were disappointing, my wife was quite disdainful after what she gets back home. We had a great night with old friends (but why do they insist on playing loud music so you have to shout!).

Thu 25: No eats this day, but good BBQ locations. First went to Meadow Creek Smokers in New Holland, PA. Surprised to meet Amish owning/running the place and had a long conversation with the guy in the shop (name escapes me for the moment - he was very friendly). Took me right through their box smoker. They have sold over 200 of these in less than a year which seems like a good number. After lunch in Reading with an old work-mate, went to Shillington and Tasty Licks BBQ Supply, where I got loaded up with a good cross-section of their large selection of rubs. They also had BBQ related things that are unobtainable down our way and I got some stocking stuffers as well.

Fri 26: Was trying to get to Jimmy's BBQ and the Firecraft shop over West Chester/Malvern way - but Firecraft not answering their phone so instead went to Sweet Lucy's just off the 95 at the Tacony Palmyra Bridge. I think I got them on a bad day, though their sides (collard greens, slaw and something else) were pretty good as was the corn bread. Reminded me of Famous Dave's in many ways.

As I am very interested in commercial BBQ practices, I had a growing interest in how do guys in BBQ joints hold their product without it drying out? I know all about hot holding, holding in steam cabinets etc, but even with these tools, it is obvious that since you can't pull meat straight out of a smoker all the time, for each order, you have to solve this problem in order to get consistent quality? How come some guys can do it and some can't? Seems to me to be a central question in the commercial BBQ equation.

I'd like to thank everyone who took the time to respond and give suggestions. I used something from most if not all of you. LMAJ, I have been gone about 6-7 years now - but going down 21st Street still just as much a pothole adventure as it always was and La Colombe on Rittenhouse Sq still close to being the best coffee anywhere (if only they would serve it properly hot!). You either love Philly or hate it, and we continue to love it.

Back