Roll Call. Inside 30 days. 2017 Memphis In May Thread

TooSaucedToPork

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey y'all,

It's that time once again where we at Too Sauced To Pork plan for Memphis in May. As always an invite to join the team is extended to all Brethren, just post here and I will get you the team information.

If you plan to attend we will once again have the Brethren Mixer Thursday May 18th at 3pm.

This will explain a whole bunch about the contest - Guide to Memphis in May

Thanks for the invite to the Brethren mixer on Thursday! My wife and I will be judging this year and it would be good to meet some other Brethren there. This will be our first time at MiM, so I'm certainly glad that you shared your "Guide to MiM"!
See you there!

Thanks for the link to your guide. That's a good read. My wife and I are planning to visit MIM. We were just going to attend as spectators and wander around. What does joining your team entail?

We're in again for shoulder! All the prep work makes me wonder why we do it, until we get there and have a blast!

Nice guide. We are entering it for the first time so I appreciate the information!

some damn good advice in there

British Bulldog BBQ will be back this year, really looking forward to it, its been missed!

The Usual Saucepects are in again this year! We've got pitmaster Troy Black back in the fold and have a few surprises in store on the non-food side of the festival.

We're just a few doors down from the unofficial Mayor of BBQfest: Neil from Too Sauced To Pork. :D

Video of our schenanigans last year: Comp food stuff is after all the night-party stuff.
https://vimeo.com/170853964

Last edited:
Practice cook Sunday:
18193853_10154539134021623_4715185150251429896_n.jpg

Nice guide. We are entering it for the first time so I appreciate the information!

Guide for teams entering the contest.

http://www.toosaucedtopork.com/2014/12/entermim/

Also the...
The Crap they don’t tell you about competing at Memphis in May list.

1. If you have a large trailer you want in your team booth get there the Saturday before the contest starts because once the fences go up it is dang near impossible to get that hoss into a muddy rutted out spot.

2. Put up your fence as soon as you get there…or send someone ahead to put one up ASAP – If you do not, then your empty spot will be used as a parking lot, a turn around, and a way to put a trailer into the spot behind yours. THIS SUX. The booth gets all rutted out and very nasty with mud. So prevention is the best policy

3. BRING or rent some kind of floor. You will thank me for this. They don’t call it Memphis in Mud for nothing. It has to sit above the ground. No wood chips, plywood directly on the ground, etc. We use pallets then hammer plywood over em…cheap and easy. I say bring b/c the rental company charges 48 bucks per 4ftx4ft square of flooring.

4. Get the Fire Marshall permit tag as soon as you can on Monday or Tues…DO NOT FORGET…it will be absolute HELL trying to track these guys down come Wednesday

5. Bring your own grounding wire kit for your tent, if you don’t the electricians will charge you for a kit..AND INSTALLATION…if you bring your own they will hook you in no charge

6. WATCH your team boundaries…there are some teams that will move paint and stakes to get a bigger area. I won’t name names, but it is rude and sh**ty to do. Measure your spot, then drive BIG stakes into the ground at the corners…put your fence up ASAP

7. Count on electric to not be hooked up until Tuesday afternoon…it usually gets hooked up before, but there have been snafu’s in the past. Make sure you have an alternative plan for meat, tools, light, etc

8. RENT A PORT-O-JOHN (or two), and put em in the BACK of your booth. You can thank me later for this. If your crapper is in the front people will just walk into your booth and use it without permission…not cool. If you don’t have one you will regret it when you go to relive yourself only to find overflowing crappers from the 100,000 people that used them before you. Plus all the drunks= PUKE in the public ones…NASTY

9. Beer sales end early by 9pm everyday…PLAN FOR THIS. Wed is like 6pm and Sat is 7 pm…Remember to stock up or you will be SOL…

10. Wednesday is the last day to load in…7am – NOON. Vehicles must leave by 3pm…those of you driving in from points unknown This is the ABSOLUTE LAST time to load big stuff in…otherwise you will be hoofing it in from ½ a mile away…that is no exaggeration…½ a mile at least carrying stuff.

11. GET A WAGON – this will save you LOTS of heartache. From kegs to meat, to the 2 kids you can haul everything you need in them. A must for MIM.

12. You will need to have Blockers and runners for your entries. The crowds are thick and you will need 2 or 3 person teams to get your stuff to the judging quickly and safely.

13. You need to bring a fire extinguisher with a CURRENT INSPECTION TAG ATTACHED. They will not give you a fire permit without one.

14. All propane tanks (maximum of 2) must have a holder…a milk crate is perfect for this, without a holder…no permit

15. Bring PLENTY of bottled water. The Sams Club on site runs out…

AND THE BIGGEST RULE
If things go wrong with your pork entry put the beautiful portions in the blind box. (remember pork entries can have NO garnish) You have to learn to B.S. and sell your onsite judge on your product. You can talk your way out of a burnt looking rib or shoulder to an onsite judge, you can’t explain anything to the blind judges….click here to learn the MBN/MIM judging system

Hahaha we were lucky last time, I don't think lightning strikes twice so will go in expecting an ass whipping, it's going to be fun though!

It's still a bit early, but a glance at the weather is.... promising...
Screen%20shot%202017-05-11%20at%209.47.51%20AM.png

Looks like a nice storm rolling in tonight/friday that may impact those of us having scaffold being put up.

Then a beautiful weekend for load-in... followed by clear skies for the duration of the festival aside from a possible shower coming through Thursday afternoon.

As an added bonus... temps look phenomenal in the mid 80s all week.

#nowhammies

Back