Brisket and Butt cook with pron

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A while back, before I knew I'd spend the last five-plus weeks in the hospital, I was asked to smoke some Q for a small gathering of theologians who are meeting here in San Antonio.

Since I can't operate a smoker due to my disability, I had to enlist my son and wife to help. We did two briskets and one pork butt.

The butt was rubbed with Simply Marvelous Season-all and S.M? Spicy Apple and a touch go S.M. Cherry, just for the heck of it.

The first brisket was rubbed with Simply Marvelous Season-all and S.M. peppered Cow. The second brisket was rubbed with OakRidge BBQ Black Ops Brisket rub.

The butt was out of the small BGE with Cherry and Oak wood. Ran around 275 degrees.

The briskets were put on the 22" WSM with a Mesquite, running 300-350 degrees.

All meats were pulled too early, as my son is still learning the "like butta" probe method. I was not able to check them. Regardless, they all got a good rest and the flavor was great all the way around. The Simply Marvelous butt and brisket were fed to the gathering of theologians. They were all very happy and full. They thought the food was fantastic, no, make that "Simply Marvelous."

The brisket pictures below that's not sliced was the OakRidge Special Ops rub. We kept that to try as a family, as I had never had it before. It, too. Was excellent.

Here is the pron, in no certain order...

Okay, I'll try to add the pics below, Every time I change screens to photbucket and back, the text here is gone...

imagejpg5.jpg

imagejpg4.jpg

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg1.jpg

imagejpg7.jpg

imagejpg10.jpg

imagejpg8.jpg

Here is the OakRidge BBQ Black Ops rubbed brisket...sorry, no slice pic. It was very good.
imagejpg9.jpg

Again, the tenderness was a bit disappointing, but all the flavor was great. I understand why people kept telling me to try the Black Ops rub. It is very good. For my family and me, though, we don't think you can beat Simply Marvelous. The OakRidge BBQ is another good choice.

Thanks for looking. Sorry for the unorganized pic layout. I'm not sure why I had such problems posting tonight.

Nice. Gotta try me some of that black ops rub.

Looks good from here, remember it's the journey not the destination

Dang nice cook, Dan! You sure make a great supervisor and got a pitmaster in training!

Black ops is one of my favorite rubs of all time, right behind secret weapon! Everything looks delicious Dan!

I didn't realize how crappy the pictures are until I posted them. Dang camera phone...well, some of it might be the user.

The cookup looks pretty dang good from way over here !!!
You're already on to any improvements to make which is usually 90% of the deal on the next cookup.....

But.....what says it all is that T-shirt !!!!

It was hard not being able to do so little of the actual cooking. I'm hoping the wheelchair accessible smoker works out soon.

Back