New PR60 Questions

MikeJ65

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I just bought a new Meadowcreek PR60 and I want to do a break-in cook on Sunday. I just want to get a feel for running it and I promised some pork for a Super Bowl party, so I was think about doing a shoulder (actually a butt and a picnic). I've never cooked a picnic, so I thought I would give it a try instead of doing two butts.

Anyhow, I won't be able to start until Sunday morning and would like it done by around 3 so I have time to rest it and pull it before we leave for the party. I'm thinking of running in the 275-300 range. Questions: how much charcoal?, should I spread it uniformly across or just use one end? Where and how should I light it? I've heard guys that like to drop a half chimney at each corner, would that be overkill for this cook?

My main concern is just to see how the PR60 wants to run and get some smoke on the pork. If I run short on time I will finish in the FEC or the oven.

Hey Mike I am in the same boat, brand new pr60 and a ton of thought about best practices to light the fire. Here is what I came up with help from some great people on this site. First I have only cooked three racks of St. Louis ribs so far, I used one bag of kbb and it lasted 4 1/2 hours it was 34 outside and light breeze. I think it will need to be loaded with three bags to get 12-16 hours. The Kbb or any other charcoal stands to not be a compleat burn, the kbb smothered itself out and I had say 20 unburied coals left in the very bottom. That said Sunday I am changing it up. Going with royal oak lump. 3 bags spread out almost to ends of center air rail, two chimneys on top and let her go. Dial in the bottom intake and top 4 wide open. I am running a bbq digi q dx2 with two pit bull fans in hopes of having more control over burn.

I've heard some people talking about that happening with KBB. How do you plan on spreading out the lit chimneys? Clear across the lump, both ends, or what? Some people swear by just vent control, others insist that you want a control with fans. I'm going to start with the vents and see where that takes me.

I think I wll spread two chimneys right down the middle, hopeing the lit will burn down and the sides will fall in on the lit.

If it was me I'd build a fire on the intake end open the exhaust on the opposite end and cook indirect 12-18" from the fire. That is allot of steel to be heating up for just a little bit of meat so you would be best served to contain the heat and let it draft like an offset.

Back