Ingenuity or Stupidity

MasterTech

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Time will tell. Most definitely did not have enough room for one layer. So far the foil seems to be working.

20170514_144340.jpg

I've seen people make that semi permanent with some long bolts, nuts and washers. Good idea!

Genius. I use foil all the time for things like this. My favorites are raising meats in pans and using it to level my Backwoods at events. You can make shims any thickness :-D

Geeezzz, with a little planning it looks like you had room for another layer or two :becky: Great improv :thumb:

First, duct tape. Now, aluminum foil. Will modern marvels never cease? Nice job, BTW.

I use the bolt-legged version frequently for chicken pieces. Here it is being used for country-style ribs.
2nd%20grate_zpsq4eumaak.jpg

Yup, turn a non-hinged grate upside down, the handles hold up 2 ends, I've used wood chunks to stabilize the double - decker.

I've also seen empty tuna fish cans or cat food cans used. Or blocks of wood or pieces of metal. Instead of carriage bolts, eye bolts work well.

Balls of foil = Genius...

Nuff said...

I've also seen empty tuna fish cans or cat food cans used. Or blocks of wood or pieces of metal. Instead of carriage bolts, eye bolts work well.

Almost cut up some soda cans before I saw the foil sitting there. Was already running behind schedule so the foil did its job for the couple of hours. I'll probably go with some bolts in the future.

Didn't take too many pics today. Was running around alot getting things done, lol. But I did take a pic in the middle of dinner of what hadn't been eaten so far. If you haven't done pork belly burnt ends, do it!!

20170514_190549.jpg

Did some strawberry-rhubarb crisp on the smoker for dessert. That was really good too.

20170514_194703.jpg

Looking at your photo,
20170514_144340.jpg

I'd probably use eye bolts to span the spaces between the bars on the grate. The heads on smaller diameter carriage bolts would fall through. Or use threaded rod with a fender washer between two nuts where the bolt head would be. That way you wouldn't need two grates as pictured.
The empty cans allow the extra grates to be used for other purposes, and make storage easier.

If I used my old ladys cooling racks like that my butt would be smoked!
:thumb:

Looks great!

Use of Duct Tape and Aluminum Foil both in the same genius category!!! :amen:

Attachments

• Guinness (Brilliant).jpg
    Guinness (Brilliant).jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 74
When I had my WSM, I got tired of pulling the upper grate to get to the bottom grate. I didn't want to use bolts, as I didn't want the two grates attached all the time. I just got some small cans like for tomato sauce or mushrooms, peeled the paper and cleaned them out. Worked for me:

IMG_3623_zpsw5odlgdb.jpg

Back