Bretheren- Please Advise- Pork Butt Has Stalled Out at 160 What To Do?

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My Boy Enrico Palazzo (Eric Lorden) grabbed a couple of Pork Butts and Head Chef Jeremy at Passports rubbed em down with the love rub, they sat overnight in the love letting the rub marry up with the pork.

5:00AM 8/30/15 set up the smoker using the minion method. Filled up the charcoal basket after placing four chucks of cherry in equal distances apart around the circle. then took out the middle lump charcoal , got it going in the chimney and then once they were burning red I dumped them back into the center. The idea is that the charcoal will slowly burn from the center outwards for a long low and slow session.

5:26AM The two butts go on.

Two hours in at 7:25AM

After I opened to check on the butt at the two hour mark the temperature in the smoker spiked to over 300 degrees. I’ve been struggling to keep the temps down and have three of the vents chocked down 2/3 of the way and got the smoker temp down to 250, onward we go.
8:38AM nearly 3 hours in and the grill is at 248 and internal temp of the butt is 144.
10:53AM Update :
FIVE HOURS IN TO OUR SMOKE smoker temp 252 internal temp 151.

12:53 Update She’s looking great and some people say to pull it off now that it’s hit 160 degrees internally and wrap it in foil but I’m going to let it roll on the smoker to develop more bark.
Smoker temp 249 Internal pork temp 163

2:00 PM
smoker temp215 Internal 163.

Keep cooking, stop looking and let her ride. You can be closer to 300°F and that stall will break sooner if that is a concern.

That stall can last a few hours When the temp starts to climb it can be fairl quick

Yup crank up the heat and stop opening the lid! My best butts were the ones I put on and didn't look at until they were ready to pull.

What internal temp should I look for?
and thank so much
When you touch it with the tongs its super jiggly inside.

If there is a bone, the best way to know is when the bone wiggles like a loose tooth. Lacking a bone, what I do is probe with a metal skewer, when the probe slides in easily, I then grab the butt and try to split one of the muscles, if it splits easily, then it is done.

Internal temperate will be somewhere between 195°F and 225°F

At the temps you are cooking at, you have a fee hours before it will break through the stall.

Jack the temp up and wrap in foil.

She'll push through quicker.

Stop looking!!! At that cooking temp, it'll be a few hours. Or you can crank up the heat.

3:45PM Update
So she stalled out and wouldn’t break over 163 for three hours. I pulled it off and wrapped them in foil and bam she busted out! at 3:45PM after ten hours on she broke 163 and is at 167 and climbing.
Foiled-

Sweet Baby Jesus, When I Pulled It Off To Wrap It In Foil A Burnt End Fell Off. My Lord if That’s Not The Best Thing I’ve Ever Eaten!!!

Just remember, if you're lookin', you ain't cookin'!:thumb:

Back