Long Island Brethren

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm seriously considering trying to organize another meal for the women and families of the Babylon Breast Cancer Coalition for Easter.

What this would amount to is a protein and a side for a family of four. We've done this twice before and it's gone over remarkably well. As you can imagine, some women that are dealing with cancer aren't in a position where they can easily prepare a holiday meal for their family and any help is a great boon.

What we've done in the past is decide what the menu will be, people volunteered to cook facets of that menu at their homes and then delivered it to Allison's (my sister who lives in Babylon). We then broke everything down into family portions, boxed them up and the people from the charity came, picked them up and delivered them to the families.

As an example, for Thanksgiving some people cooked turkeys, some cooked side dishes, some made cookies, some did gravy, some did pies, some did potatoes, etc. That was really over the top and I don't think we want to go that crazy again.

I was thinking maybe one side dish and one ham per family.

If you could contribute and donate a ham (or other main protein) or a side dish, please let me know. I GUARANTEE you that it will have a huge impact on the recipients and you will be happy you jumped on board.

Helping out with this twice last year was some of the most gratifying experiences I had in 2013.

Feel free to post here or pm me if you can help out.

If you have any suggestions on appropriate sides, please let me know.

Thanks!

Eric

This Jarhead will gladly volunteer. How can I help?

Can you donate a ham or two?

So, here's where we stand: we're going to try to help five families. We have someone doing 5 pies and someone else is doing 5 quarts of a caramelized carrot soup.

We need 5 hams (or some other protein in lieu of ham) and maybe another side dish.

I can easily do a couple of hams.

We will gather everything at my place, the folks from the charity will come, pick it up and deliver it to the women.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Eric

Hi!

I'd like to thank Toymaster and everyone else from the local BBQ community that contributed to the Easter meals for the women and families from the Babylon Breast Cancer Coalition.

We had pitmaster, competitors, judges, enthusiasts and more prepare dishes for the meals.

The recipients got hams, sauce, salads, fresh bread, fresh cookies, mac salad, pies, carrot soup and more.

It's stuff like this that makes me proud to be a part of this community.

Here is a note that Tess (the president of the Babylon Breast Cancer Coalition) posted on the events facebook wall:

"We just got back from the deliveries ... I can't begin to thank you all enough ... I got thanked by the smiles and warm holiday hugs and every single one of them sent their thanks to all who cooked and contributed!!!! the reaction when I said there were cookies in the household with the boys LOL!!! as soon as I said there were cookies their faces lit up like a sunrise) everything was so gratefully received by all ...For some this is a physical relief ...for some financial and for most ...both ... Please know that these were 5 precious gifts you all took part in today ... on behalf of BBCC and the women we serve ....THANK YOU!!!!!!!!! Wishing you all many blessings in return!!"

Thank you again to everyone that helped out!

Eric

Back