Discussion Thread -> "Meat on Meat!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is...

"Meat on Meat!"

IMG_5799.jpg

Who doesn't love a bacon wrapped turkey? Or is that a bacon stuffed with turkey? :biggrin1:

As chosen by Shagdog for winning the "SPICY!" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

Shagdog said:
Meat on Meat! Your dish must incorporate 2 meats, 1 either wrapped or stuffed in the other. You MUST use meat from 2 different species of edible breathing life forms( by that I mean mammal, fowl, fish, amphibian, large insect, crustacean, turtle, or anything else that has an edible flesh) For example, a bacon wrapped pork tenderloin would not qualify, unless you stuffed the tenderloin with chicken or prairie dog or something. Turkey stuffed with chicken? Yes! Cod stuffed with scallops? Yes! Domestic pig stuffed with wild boar? Ummm... No. Different species of the same general meat area (2 types fowl, 2 types seafood, etc) are acceptable.. As long as your 2 meats couldn't breed and create babies, you're golden. Simple! Just cram some meat into some other meat and smoke it. And then take a pretty picture.

Cliff notes- stuff or wrap one meat in another. 2 meats from 2 edible breathing life forms, one dish.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 9/12 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 9/22/14.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 9/22.

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown... The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
official entry for the meat on meat throwdown

What could be better then a TD with a double meat entry. my version of meat on meat would have been a burger topped with a reuben sandwich. This would have been a double dilly bar, beef on beef and not stuffed or wrapped. I figured I would just have to sit this one out cause I wouldn't have a qualified entry. Well Whatta know I was fixing a sandwich and spotted some unclaimed bacon. Don't know where it came from but it smelled ok and nothing was growing on it. I figured I could wrap it around something but what? I could go buy some thighs but that sounded like work. I foraged in the freezer looking for something non pork. Tucked in the back corner almost hiding was a few frozen meatballs. Perfect! I didn't realize I had either when I began my search. What better to enter into the "meat on meat" throwdown than simple and delicious MOINK balls. This was destiny.

Polling pic:

My "Meat on Meat" attempt. This version of meat candy is usually done in the oven, but I thought I could change things up a bit. It's gotta be 2 animals that can't breed: BEEF Little Smokies wrapped in... well, PIG bacon. Covered in some brown sugar(dark this time) and on the smoker for almost 2 hours(this time). They never take a set time, just till they bubble all over.

Please accept this photo below as my "Meat on Meat Throwdown" entry.

I hope these are good for an entry. They never touched a grate, just in the pan they cooked in on the smoker. Thanks Yall!

edit: whole cook and prep here, http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198052

That's all folks! Look for a poll in just a bit...

Back