So I'm stuck again.....

Dadeo719

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Family wants to do a "Trash Can" dinner for a baby shower. I like the concept and it is "cool" looking, but I still don't think it's a good idea. Everything I have read on here from you guys and other places says not to do it. Plus isn't it just all steaming in there. They are wanting to use pork loins and maybe some chicken. That just doesn't sound to appetizing to me, steamed pork.....:tsk::tsk:

So is there any legit way to do this better. I just want to use the drum and be done with it. Thanks in advance for the help.

I have cooked countless #'s of whole chickens under a trashcan. They have all come out golden brown, and really juicy. I have used the same can for a number of years. I actually thought about buying a new can not long ago, and it is rather difficult to find a 15 gallon metal can. Anytime I have ever used a can, I have done a preburn in it, in an effort to eliminate the zinc. After that, I do a burn in on the outside as if I was doing a real cook. Really easy to do, and works quite well. Is it 100% safe? I doubt it, but if you want I could look hard enough at all the other cooking methods, and I am pretty sure I could find something that is not 100% safe in them as well.

Had to google trash can dinner to understand what you were referring too.

Looks like for the most part it's just using a trash can instead of a large pot to boil/steam a bunch ofcorn/carrots/potatoes type of stew thingy.

Only thing I can recommend is ask them if they would rather have bbq pulled pork or etc. If not, then you'll just have to go find a steel trash can and get er done. If you can't find a steel one then maybe a burnout of a galvanized one. Heck, if you let them know the dangers of cooking on galvanized they might change their mind!

At the very least you can sear or bbq the chicken/loins before adding it to the stew.

Me teeth hurt just thinking about this. Persuade them go w/ your UDS!

It's pretty much a big Dutch oven. That being said other than looking cool, it's no different than cooking in your kitchen oven except not as convenient. I concur, talk them into the UDS!

So I won a battle!!! NO TRASH CAN DINNER!! Am I an a$$ for playing the unborn baby card and the dangers of galvanized? Oh well. I won. So I am going to do a Brazilian BBQ instead so I will get some pictures up when it happens. Not till Thanksgiving weekend so I have some time to prep. Think I am going to make a concrete block type grill, stair stepped, for different cooking zones. We have some long SS stakes that i will use for skewering. Anybody have pics or advice on going this route?

Had to look this idea up...basically an over-sized steamer. Looks like most recipes call for various types of sausage to be placed on top of the veg with the idea that the sausage juices end up running down all over the veg.

It actually sounds pretty good but substituting pork loin and chicken seems like a bad idea for a few reasons:

Neither would impart much flavor...steamed chicken is almost tasteless.
Raw chicken juices running down over the veg seems like a potential health risk.
Sausage would cook at roughly the same rate. Chicken & pork, not so much

So I won a battle!!! NO TRASH CAN DINNER!! Am I an a$$ for playing the unborn baby card and the dangers of galvanized? Oh well. I won. So I am going to do a Brazilian BBQ instead so I will get some pictures up when it happens. Not till Thanksgiving weekend so I have some time to prep. Think I am going to make a concrete block type grill, stair stepped, for different cooking zones. We have some long SS stakes that i will use for skewering. Anybody have pics or advice on going this route?

This is probably what you want: http://bbq.tamu.edu/2013/10/19/brazilian-barbecue/

Heck, I think they'll be more impressed with this than the trash can pot thing.

More redneck, and fire!

MG_6795-1024x682.jpg

Skinny has it, although an 8" vertical heat difference is challenging.
How to halve that.
Plus congrats on nixing the galvanized, sheesh.

Go to Home Depot and get some garbage can/foot locker handles. Screw them to the UDS and paint it silver.

Thanks guys. Yeah that stair step block grill is what I was thinking will be
1) easiest to build
2) easiest to cook
3) easiest to hold meats

So hope it turns out well. I will keep you posted.

Back