Rib Fail

dgaddis1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Went to the local butcher shop for the first time over the weekend looking for beef spare/short ribs, my first time trying them. All they had were back ribs. So, I got some. After getting them home and trimming some of the excess hard fat off I realized I bought useless ribs...there was hardly any meat on them at all. Also, they had already been divided up. Cooked them anyways (1.5hr at 225*F, then wrapped up in foil for 2.5hrs at 280*F). They smelled AWESOME, and few tiny bites of meat were good, but there was hardly anything to eat, mostly just fat left on. Since the Egg was hot I opened the vents up and got it really hot and cooked some steak instead for dinner.

Live and learn I guess.

Onto the grill.
TsU0ApIh.jpg

Done. No meat!!
adHiuSMh.jpg

I don't think you had a rib fail, but rather sold a product that wasn't fit for your purpose.

Sounds and looks like your butcher took all the good meat from between the bones and trimmed them almost to nothing, literally leaving you with soup bones...

Back ribs are usually cut from the ends of a prime rib roast, a very desirable and a somewhat expensive cut. There is a lot of tasty meat between the bones and they are usually sold in slabs of 8 or more bones which can be up to 8" long.

Beef short ribs have more meat than beef back ribs, but I prefer the great beef flavor from back ribs.

I think you have your answer above. It's not you. It's not the butcher. The ribs just weren't meant for the task. Next time maybe inform him of what you're trying to do. Plate ribs are popular for BBQ.

Back ribs can be good. Helps to find a butcher who doesn't murder em. Still there is little meat and i can easily eat what comes in a rack. Definitely not good to cook individual bones. I like em

Backribs are some excellent eating! The meat to gelatinous membrane ratio is about perfect for me compared to shorties. And the price is a fair bit cheaper too. Now I don't know if you did this or your butcher did it, but next time try to find a whole 7 bone rack and don't cut them into individual ribs to cook. You'll end up with a lot more edible (not cooked to a crisp) meat. I usually smoke a whole rack and then pull all the meat for smoked beef sandwiches....man that is one of the greatest pleasures of a meat-eating life.

Not much meat on them mate

Like, "i'm a madman" said. Soup bones, boil em down and make beef stock. At least you'll get something more outa them!

Back ribs can be good. Helps to find a butcher who doesn't murder em. Still there is little meat and i can easily eat what comes in a rack. Definitely not good to cook individual bones. I like em

Backribs are some excellent eating! The meat to gelatinous membrane ratio is about perfect for me compared to shorties. And the price is a fair bit cheaper too. Now I don't know if you did this or your butcher did it, but next time try to find a whole 7 bone rack and don't cut them into individual ribs to cook. You'll end up with a lot more edible (not cooked to a crisp) meat. I usually smoke a whole rack and then pull all the meat for smoked beef sandwiches....man that is one of the greatest pleasures of a meat-eating life.

I prefer back ribs to short ribs as well, but if you can't find a butcher to cut them properly you'll have nothing short of disappointment. A butcher that tries to maximize profit will trim them down leaving you "shiners" with little meat between the bones. Get to know your butcher and tell him you want a rack of meaty back ribs, if he values you as a customer he'll make it happen, maybe not that day, but he'll call you when he has what you want. Average rack size is 8 ribs.

Back ribs are cut from the end of a rib roast. They require less cooking time less cooking time and are more tender from their counter part. Just like prime rib they will melt in your mouth and they also pack a more intense beefy flavor.

But everyone has their preferences of what they like and don't like. Cook what you prefer to eat and be happy.

They clean the buhjeezus outta them up here, too. Thought I found an amazing sale, so I bought a half dozen double packs in cryo. Yeah, total disappointment, only a little meat in-between the bones. Still have 4 packages left. The little meat that is there is really good, though.

They clean the buhjeezus outta them up here, too. Thought I found an amazing sale, so I bought a half dozen double packs in cryo. Yeah, total disappointment, only a little meat in-between the bones. Still have 4 packages left. The little meat that is there is really good, though.

They will make great beef barley vegetable soup......

UPDATE: Was in Publix this morning and they had some chuck ribs out, but they had been cut in half across the bone and then cut into individual ribs. I asked the butcher if they had any uncut in the back and they did, score! So I got a whole rack uncut. Four ribs about ~8" long with about an inch and a half of meat on top of the bones. 3.8lbs. Going to cook them low and slow on the Big Green Egg with some oak for smoke, probably tomorrow night. Can't wait! Will be back with pics.

Y9E01APh.jpg

those are the ones you want and I like them more than brisket .

UPDATE: Was in Publix this morning and they had some chuck ribs out, but they had been cut in half across the bone and then cut into individual ribs. I asked the butcher if they had any uncut in the back and they did, score! So I got a whole rack uncut. Four ribs about ~8" long with about an inch and a half of meat on top of the bones. 3.8lbs. Going to cook them low and slow on the Big Green Egg with some oak for smoke, probably tomorrow night. Can't wait! Will be back with pics.

Y9E01APh.jpg

chit yeah, them'll work. one of my favorites.

It's not even 0800 here, and I'd happily eat those bones for breakfast!

Looks great! Nice to see that you found a good rack of bones to work with this time around.

Back