...there is talk of Grilling, your majesty...

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey all - please let me preface this with the fact that this is my THIRD thread ever on this forum and I absolutely love this place. You all have been incredibly kind and generous with your help of me, a COMPLETE quenube, and it pretty much makes me feel better about the human race that this site exists.

SO...I am by no means suggesting any changes! Ok, that's out of the way.

So I do enjoy grilling quite a bit, and just had a truly out-of-this-world steak at a restaurant (and it had better have been for the price), and it reminded me that as proud as I am of my own steaks, I certainly have not reached perfection yet! In fact, this steak was purposefully blackened via a cajun rub beforehand, and it was simply delicious. I've always stuck by salt and pepper on my steaks, but it occurred to me that I would really like to learn more about y'alls grilling techniques much as I have learned SO much already from your Q techniques.

I know that Q-talk does say it's also about grilling, but I sort of feel bad posting any grilling topics there since...well...it's Q-talk! My first thought was to ask you all is there is a grilling forum out there that is somehow on par with this one, but then I thought man, if there was a grilling subforum here, it would be simply unbelievable. In a way it really is a different universe than Q; wouldn't it be great to have people check in with "hey, choice ribeyes are at Aldi again" or "best rubs for pork chops" or "how to best dry-age steaks", etc.

So just talking out loud! I have been totally shocked at how good my grilled delights have been turning out since I got my Weber kettle last year, but can only imagine how they would improve if I were able to regularly become better informed as I am able to about Q here. I know there's some grilling (smokeless :) ) talk in Q-talk, and perhaps that's the way it should be.

Just steak for thought!

You all are the best.

q-talk is pretty much food in general. feel free to post anything food related, grilling especially. stuff is posted all the time that never sees a grill or a smoker.

please don't feel bad posting grilling or smoking or any food stuff.

stay out of the woodpile though. nothing good goes on over there.

:twisted:

Welcome to the forum. Yes indeed this is also the place to ask grilling questions. I used to eat at steak houses until I found out that I could top them at home. A steakhouse does have one advantage in that they have access to Prime grade steaks. Hence the price at a good steakhouse. There are ways around it though starting with a good Choice cut.

Many folks do it different ways and I ruined many a good cut of beef till I learned but here is my take:

1. High Heat is the key. 500-600*F for me.
2. Have steak at room temp to allow it to relax and open the pours then add your favorite seasoning. I always use Kosher salt followed by a light rub.
3. Only flip once. (OK to rotate 45 degrees if your looking for good grill marks before flipping).
4. Make sure your steak is at least 3/4" thick precooked.
5. Know your internal temp for rare, med etc. using a good thermometer.
6. After removing the steak from the grill, allow it to rest for at least 10 mins or more depending on thickness.

I used to think I had to go low and slow to keep it from being overdone. All that did was dry it out. A lot of folks like the reverse sear too.

Just my .02. Hope it helps.

Last edited:
Welcome to the form. Yes indeed this is also the place to ask grilling questions. I used to eat at steak houses until I found out that I could top them at home. A steakhouse does have one advantage in that they have access to Prime grade steaks. Hence the price at a good steakhouse. There are ways around it though starting with a good Choice cut.

Many folks do it different ways and I ruined many a good cut of beef till I learned but here is my take:

1. High Heat is the key. 500-600*F for me.
2. Have steak at room temp to allow it to relax and open the pours then add your favorite seasoning. I always use Kosher salt followed by a light rub.
3. Only flip once. (OK to rotate 45 degrees if your looking for good grill marks before flipping).
4. Make sure your steak is at least 3/4" thick precooked.
5. Know your internal temp for rare, med etc. using a good thermometer.
6. After removing the steak from the grill, allow it to rest for at least 10 mins or more depending on thickness.

I used to think I had to go low and slow to keep it from being overdone. All that did was dry it out. A lot of folks like the reverse sear too.

Just my .02. Hope it helps.

^^^This^^^ Only thing I will add is when it is resting, lay a piece of loosely wrapped foil over to keep warm. Most important to me, after cooking, is to put some butter on while resting. This is the BEST !!
Thanks for posting. Q-talk is for anything you cook, in whatever manner.

Hey, grilling is certainly part of Q-Talk, no need to feel bashful about posting grilling cooks or questions. I do it all the time. Welcome aboard!

Agree with the above, especially if it involves meat, beer, bread, pizza, pasta or sides and beer, Q-talk, we love to hear about it all

I think the quality of the meat your cooking is just as important as how you cook it. A tough steak cooked perfect is still just a tough steak.

Best steak I ever had was a prime strip cooked at home with a simple sea salt and pepper seasoning. Farkin' fantastic and much cheaper than a steak house. I like to do a quick 1~2 minute sear on each side, then move to the cool side of the grill and indirect for a few more minutes. Turns out great every time.

Best part of going to a steak house is I get the night off from cooking.

I also leave my steaks out to warm up to room temp before grilling. I like to salt and pepper them while they warm. I use sea salt, haven't tried kosher, but the sea salt melts right into the steak.

I agree with all of the above. Qtalk's always been about outdoor cookin' in general. Grilling included. :thumb:
Shoot, I'm not too proud to post cooks on one of my gas grills. I have 4 gassers and use the heck out of them along with the rest of my outdoor cooking toys. :-D
Looking forward to your input here TastyCat!

I mostly grill during the week after work and smoke on the weekend. I pretty much agree with all the above. I think learning to recognize good marbling and pick a good piece of meat has been very helpful. I season with Montreal steak seasoning and a little cracked black pepper myself. Learning something new every day here.

Once again you all have demonstrated why this is literally the coolest place on the internet.

My modus operandi thus far (the results of which has shocked the pants off of me time and time again) has been:

1. Liberally sea salt both sides and let it sit for 1 hr. per inch thickness, then wash off and pat steaks dry with paper towels
2. Add pepper and lately some cooking oil (will likely try olive oil next time)
3. Get the Weber as hot as I possibly can (caveat: until you came into my life I was too ignunt to know that I can't trust the dome thermometer, plus I was leaving the lid off trying to build up heat.
4. Cooking the steaks for about 4 to 5 minutes per side (only one flip); I was leaving the lid off for the last minute or so on each side in the hopes of actually causing a flareup in order to force some crust, but I believe I've gleaned from here that the lovely crust comes either from a rub or high heat or most likely both. I've also been cooking without any thermometer at all; my thermopop arrives tomorrow :) and that will give me a MUCH better understanding of when it's done! Too many surprises so far; oops, back on the grill...I really hope all the juices don't drain out :doh:

Will definitely be adding the butter while resting trick to my list!

I've been buying choice steaks and they have been turning out better than I've ever had except at two restaurants, both of which charge $40+ per steak - and worth every penny!! I seriously can't order steak anywhere else - totally spoiled.

If you haven't tried the presalt/wash/dry trick, I commend it to you most highly. Most of the salt washes off, but according to this link "How to turn cheap choice steaks into gucci prime steaks" the salt breaks the steak down making it wonderfully tender; just enough salt remains in the meat postrinse to give it just the right amount of saltiness. Seriously, this WORKS, and it's certainly not exclusive of rubs, pepper, etc. applied afterwards.

In fact, I've found with this method that I prefer NO pink!! One would think that steak blasphemy, but it's wonderfully flavorful and very, very tender.

So getting the Weber as hot as possible - I've been dumping a full chimney of RO Lump onto what lump is left (usually a fairly good amount) from the last cook and let it sit with the lid off in the name of getting as much air to it as possible; would I be better served to leave the lid on to build temp? Or is it simply a matter of waiting for the temp to rise enough? With my newfangled Maverick 733, grate temp won't be a holy mystery anymore.

You guys are the best! Here's to beautiful, charred meat.

Welcome to the asylum TastyCat. There's nothing wrong with grilling questions. Sometimes I don't have enough alcohol to last me thru an 8 hour smoke so (gasp!) I have to grill something.

There is no wrong way as long as it's HH. Also the Thermopop will change your grilling world. :thumb:

Ha!!! Yes, even grilling (it takes me forever to prep even burgers/steaks, then get the grill going, then cook) is a fantastic opportunity for some good old brews. When it's hot out, even better - much as I hate the heat, it's great!

Dang, Cowgirl - four gassers? You are serious!!

BTW, a wee nugget I've gleaned on burgers is that the less they are handled, the better; we've all seen people slap at a piece of beef until it's patty-shaped; it does take me forever, but I use a sharp knife to cut hamburger into basically squares, then I very gently and gradually work it into a large, flat square. Apparently the more you handle it, the more it "bruises" the meat; I can't absolutely vouch for that, but I've actually had burgers fall apart because they are SO tender :) nice problem to have! And not hard to fix - just be *slightly* firmer when "patting them out." Mine usually end up 2/3 to 3/4 pound and they are delightful! The lump gives them such a great flavor as well. And just salt and pepper beforehand; and a nice deep dent in the middle (careful not to destroy it; it's tender and fragile!) makes them come out perfect.

Ha!!! Yes, even grilling (it takes me forever to prep even burgers/steaks, then get the grill going, then cook) is a fantastic opportunity for some good old brews. When it's hot out, even better - much as I hate the heat, it's great!

Dang, Cowgirl - four gassers? You are serious!!

BTW, a wee nugget I've gleaned on burgers is that the less they are handled, the better; we've all seen people slap at a piece of beef until it's patty-shaped; it does take me forever, but I use a sharp knife to cut hamburger into basically squares, then I very gently and gradually work it into a large, flat square. Apparently the more you handle it, the more it "bruises" the meat; I can't absolutely vouch for that, but I've actually had burgers fall apart because they are SO tender :) nice problem to have! And not hard to fix - just be *slightly* firmer when "patting them out." Mine usually end up 2/3 to 3/4 pound and they are delightful! The lump gives them such a great flavor as well. And just salt and pepper beforehand; and a nice deep dent in the middle (careful not to destroy it; it's tender and fragile!) makes them come out perfect.

lol I just recounted in my head.. I have 5 gassers. :tsk: :redface:
Your method of grilling burgers sounds great. I've been making square burgers a lot lately.
I press the meat out inside of a rectangle pan. (line the pan with plastic wrap first) Lift the whole rectangle of meat out and place it on the counter, then use my pizza cutter to cut the meat into squares. It goes fast. Works great for sliders. :-D

....now I wish I had a nice juicy burger. :)

There is a lot of good advice above. I would especially echo a couple points. Only flip once, not over and over, so that you know how much it has been cooked. And resting at the end is really important.

I don't use a thermometer to tell when it's done, I use the poke test. I poke the steak with a finger and see how firm it is. You can pretty quickly learn to tell. Because steak is relatively thin it is hard to get a good thermometer reading, and if you spend too long trying you will end up overcooking it.

For chicken with the skin on, I break the only flip once rule because otherwise the skin would get overdone. So I cook it mostly with the skin up and grill cover closed, but several times I will flip it and cook briefly on the ski side to crisp it. Too long and it will flare up and char the skin.

Lol good thing Q-talk isn't just for Q, otherwise the fried food masterpieces that some of the brethren come up with wouldn't be allowed! And that would be horrible...

...I mean, how can you make a deep fried rib, AND BAN IT!?! (well, triple-bypass comes to mind!)

Welcome aboard the crazy train! :-D

Back