Ribs - doing them proper for the first time this weekend.

Daederik

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some confirmation that I'm doing this right.

A couple weeks ago I was smoking some meats on the grill (Weber Kettle. Snake method. Temp remained around 230-250 for most the time), and had some mixed results.

Chicken quarters (legs/thighs) - Came out great. Juicy. Yum.

Spare Ribs: Came out really really dry. Flavoursome, but dry. Cooked it 3-2-1 method, but I think I may have done like 3.5/2/1.5...woops. Also, I didn't put any liquid in when I had it wrapped in foil. I did use a mop on occasion, but not very often.

Rib tips: Turned out great. Tender, and finger licking good.

Pork Shoulder - Around 8 1/2 pounder. Came out stunningly good, but after about 10 hours the temp was only at 140F, and I simply needed to finish it in the oven. Brought it up to 195F. Total cook time was 17 hours. I think the cook time on the grill was hindered by me messing about lifting the lid to deal with chicken/ribs/mopping/wood chunks dying out much quicker then I was expecting.

SO, this time, I'm cooking up just 3 racks of spare ribs and tips separate. I plan on doing everything about the same.

Same temp (although leaning towards the 250 range a bit more). Not going to be messing about with the lid as much though.

Sticking with the times better. I won't be off that 30 min.

Liquid in the pouch

Sound about right?

There is the possibility I suppose that out here in the UK the ribs are just leaner. I did get the meat from a really good butcher in town (who literally hacked them off some pigs right in front of me and dressed them up), so it's not the "Quality"

...will post pics.

Bump up the temp to around 300.. same snake method.. Cook ribs for about 2 hours.. then wrap with a small amount of liquid abt a quarter cup for about 1 hour.. then sauce and back on the grate for about 30 minutes.. and eat..

Sounds like your temp was too low, especially in spots that but must have been surfing around 200. I do a snake i use 4 brickets 2 wide 2 high and vents wide open, if your going to have it loaded up you might want to put 1 more on top

Sounds like your temp was too low, especially in spots that but must have been surfing around 200. I do a snake i use 4 briquettes 2 wide 2 high and vents wide open, if your going to have it loaded up you might want to put 1 more on top

Yeah, was doing 2 wide and 2 high. Had the top vent wide open, but bottom shut quite a bit. Going to open them up this time around, and def won't be cooking them as long.

...I'm starting to get hungry :).

cook at 275 min no wrappin necessary. When they bend like this eat the bloody bastages
bendtest.jpg

this video will help you
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbBFZstQRUY"]Popdaddys Hot and Fast Weeping Ribs Method - YouTube[/ame]

No wrapping or "weeping" :laugh: are necessary for juicy flavorful ribs....just so ya know.

One note - If you do want to wrap, your times are too long. 3-2-1 was developed for full slab (untrimmed) spares at 225. St Louis trimmed spares would be very over cooked after 3-2-1 even without your extra time.

I agree with the guys above on trying it without foiling, but I'll add my $.02 on temperatures. I prefer ribs that are cooked around 260-275, but if your kettle want to settle in at a different temp, don't fight it. Cook at whatever temp it prefers and adjust the cook time from there.

For my cooker, St. Louis trimmed spares that are around 2.5 - 3 lbs cook in about 4.5 hours with no foil, or 2.5-1.5-done if I want to foil at 260 degrees.

Bump up the temp to around 300.. same snake method.. Cook ribs for about 2 hours.. then wrap with a small amount of liquid abt a quarter cup for about 1 hour.. then sauce and back on the grate for about 30 minutes.. and eat..

This^

Instead of liquid, and because it is what I have on hand, i just put a few pads of butter and some brown sugar in the foil and it is enough liquid with the rib juice to get them. Good luck!

Hitman

I got two racks of St. Louis spares in the freezer that I plan to pull out for this weekend. Going to do one like I have been (2-1-1) and the other nekkid all the way. Going to see which way I like better.

Dry could have meant over or undercooked, in your case I'm guessing under. When cooking on a kettle, looking is definitely not cooking. I don't like wrapping or mopping on a kettle. If you want to wrap, have everything ready and make like a pit crew keeping the lid on as much as possible. The toothpick test is great, how hard you have to push it is how hard you will have to bite...

I think you're marching down the wrong alley. St Looeys just love 250 unwrapped unbasted and unmopped. When a rack bends easily when picked up with tongs, it's done. Right at that moment it will be juicy but you will need to bite it but the bone comes clean. Perfect!

seattlepitboss

Thanks for your help everyone :). Just picked up the ribs and got them rubbed and in the fridge They hooked me up with a couple racks of Spare ribs and a rack of baby backs.

Figure the baby backs will be lunch. going to do everything just unwrapped. going to leave it alone and check on them in 3 hours.

Will post pics tomorrow. You guys have given me a lot of food for thought :)

Back