Mangalitsa Pork

5string

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My son is about to open another restaurant and still lining up suppliers. He found a local farmer who raises this breed of pig. It is raised on grass and clover, then fed barley and other grains. Called the "Wagu of pork", the marbling in the shoulder looks really good. Any of the Breathen ever tried this in comps? Just curious to find out your results/opinions.

I was just watching Mind of a Chef on Netflix and they had an episode where they talked to a guy in England who raised them. I'm quite curious to find out more about this as well.

Local supplier is cool with a potential good sell to the area I would think, I'm not familiar with that hog breed though, my two cents...Compart Duroc is amazing!!

I don't know the first thing about comps, but a friend brought me a side of mangalitsa on New Year's and I've been working my way through it. It's so different from what you are used to I doubt it would make a good comp cut. I end up breaking it down completely differently since the animal is a different fat/meat ratio and a normal "ribs" cut will be like serving fresh bacon.

Good stuff though!

I've seen their ribs. I was not impressed. Duroc seems to be the best option.

I guess I should consider giving Duroc another shot. I bought 3 racks of ribs and 2 butts a few years ago, and not impressed at all!!.. cryovac seal was broke on half of the stuff, the ribs were thin with shiners.. felt like I totally wasted my money. Does anyone know if their quality control got better or what? I'm gun-shy to try again.

I've looked into it, but the biggest problem is that is it is very hard to get individual cuts around here. Most of the 'heritage' pork is processed by very small, local slaughter houses that are not allowed to sell retail cuts (they can butcher your hog, but that's it). Ribs might be a no-go, but I would think that the shoulder would have some potential.

I guess I should consider giving Duroc another shot. I bought 3 racks of ribs and 2 butts a few years ago, and not impressed at all!!.. cryovac seal was broke on half of the stuff, the ribs were thin with shiners.. felt like I totally wasted my money. Does anyone know if their quality control got better or what? I'm gun-shy to try again.

That wasn't our experience. At Sam's club this year we cooked one compart duroc butt and another from our grocery store. When we blind tasted after it came out, we decided to put none of the regular pork in the box. It was clearly a huge difference to all of us.

Had the same experience Podge. I tried the Pork and Ribs at a Sam's Club contest a couple of years ago, and had the same issue with the ribs and pork. At the last KOS, we got Compart Duroc ribs and Pork. It wasn't as bad as my first experience with the product, but I didn't think it was much better than what I normally cook.

But what do I know, Pork and ribs are my worst categories!

Back