Space for Ribs?

Wornslick

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Yesterday I was watching TV and a cooking show came on and they were going to smoke some St. Louis ribs so naturally I had to watch. The cook had 4 slabs of ribs and she made the comment about whether they would fit on her Weber kettle. This is how she solved the "space" problem....

After removing the membrane and rubbing the rib with her homemade rub she laid one slab meat side down on the counter top, then she laid another slab on top of the first one meat side up. She then took some kitchen string and tied the slabs together in 4-5 places along the ribs. She did the other 2 slabs the same way and on the smoker they went for 2 hours. She removed them, cut the strings and finished them in the oven.

I thought that was a great idea and got me wondering if any of the Brethren have heard of this or have done it? When I try it I will pass on the oven part though.

I've read about that, have not tried it, looks like an easier way would be to use a rib rack and do the entire cook in the kettle.

That was on "Cooks' Country" or "America's Test Kitchen", which are hard to tell apart except for the setting. They're known for doing things differently, if not necessarily better.

I use my rib racks now, but some years ago when I was doing ribs on a gas grill I saw a method in Southern Living magazine. They suggested laying 3 racks all on top of each other and rotating down one place every hour. It worked OK for me. They would actually baste each other from top down. I may try it again to just see how it comes out. I really don't think you can screw ribs up to where they won't be eaten.

That will work also, she never said why she tied the slabs together, I don't see the need to.
Here is the tip.
ribbundle_zps8bc8abcd.gif

They do their cooking on a kettle, and you can fit twice as many racks in the same space this way.

That rolling idea looks strange but probably effective, I'm gonna try it!!

I have cooked ribs rolled up before, can't remember where I learned about it though. Maybe Paul Kirks video.

I am just looking to get a bigger pit so I don't have to worry about stacking or rolling. Some day...

If you have some sorry ribs that are really thin this can be a nice way to keep the ends from getting done too early. Just lay the thick end on the thin end of the other ribs.

Otherwise rolling or racking os the way to go for me.

did 4 racks at a time on a 22.5 kettle with the hovergrill (picture shows 3, but another fits on the bottom). There certainly are lots of ways to load up the kettle with ribs, but that is my personal preference as they cook quite evenly. 2nd choice would be a rib rack... Have never looked at trying to fit more than 4 as I would run another kettle if more are needed. Great suggestions in this post!!

Attachments

• ribs.jpg
    ribs.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 40
I use steam racks to easily increase my cooking space for ribs.

SteamRack.jpg

On top of the upper grate I use a 17 3/4" steam rack. It just fits under the dome.

On top of that I can also use a 12 3/4" steam rack.

On top of the lower grate I also use the 12 3/4" steam rack which leaves you enough space around the perimeter to be able to lower it in and retrieve it as well. You can also place another 12 3/4" rack on top of the one on the lower grate giving me a total of 6 racks in the WSM, allowing me to do 12 racks of ribs at once, all flat, in a single WSM. The spread legs on the steam racks will span two racks of ribs.

These steam racks are really great quality, hold up to high heat (I sometimes burn them off in my gasser), and are inexpensive.

They also come in real handy for doing multiple racks of things like wings or MOINK balls.

Thanks Tims! I added it to my Amazon Wishlist. Next time I order from there I'll get one...

Back