Pellet Grill Fire Risk?

Vision

is Blowin Smoke!
A question for those who have pellet grills. How big of a fire risk are they? Thinking of purchasing rec tec or mak and I'm wondering if it's safe to place it on a porch with a roof overhang.

I have one on my deck which is not covered in the winter but does have a retractable awning during the summer. I think that anytime you have something burning there is some degree of risk but the design makes it seem like a pretty low risk. There is basically no way that any spark could get out of the burn pot and onto the deck. Also, pellets by their design aren't going to spark and pop in the first place. In theory you could get a fire that burns back into the hopper but based on what I've seen it wouldn't happen as there wouldn't be enough oxygen -- an excess of pellets will smother the fire in the fire pot itself even with the fan trying to keep it running.

The only real risk is a grease fire which the Rectec design works pretty well to avoid. The drip pan does a nice job funneling away. If you do a bunch of low temp cooks to build up a lot of grease (especially if you stuff it and are outside the drip pan) then do a high temp cook without cleaning things you could cause one. Also possible if you are using it for grilling without the drip pan and let a bunch of grease build up down in the body.

In terms of the roof, grease fire aside, there won't be a problem with the heat doing any damage to it. Over time you might end up with some staining from the smoke but even that's probably not all that likely as, outside of startup, there really isn't that much smoke.

Bottom line, I'm comfortable with using it on my deck including for overnight cooks.

I've used my pellet cookers in the garage with the door open during bad or cold weather, on a concrete patio, wood deck, and trex deck. No issue. Like stated above, if there is a live fire there is always some inherent risk. I would say pellet cookers are probably the least risky. Compared to other types of cookers, they are a very small and very contained burn.

From what ive seen and read, fire risk is small as long as you clean out the ash from the previous cooks. I have a rec tec and the ash is very small. I clean it after every cook and make sue the grease is cleaned up also. Ive cooked in my open garage many times on it when the weather is bad.

Thanks. I'm wondering what could happen worst case. A grease fire breaks out, it spreads to the hopper, but the fire is contained except maybe from the chimney? I don't see how else it could get out.

I think if you are concerned about fire safety, a pellet pooper is probably the best system. Most decent pellet poopers are temperature controlled. If a grease fire does break out, the fuel is going to be cut automatically. This is in contrast to a gas or charcoal grill. With the additional fuel cut, the grease fire will burn itself out with much lower flames.

I have my Rec-Tec on the porch right outside the kitchen door. It's under an awning and no problems at all. Like others have said, keep it clean and you should have no worries.

I cook under my covered carport with my GMG and at night I have never witnessed a burning ember come from the exhaust. I have seen a few come up from around the grease pan while I've had the lid open cooking at a higher temp, but still contained to the inside. My floor is concrete so not too much worried about embers going to the ground. If you have a wooden deck, I'd still suggest some sort of grill pad just to be on the safe side.

I have a Rec Tec RT-680 and a Rec Tec Mini and there is no problem with a fire hazard. Change the foil on the drip pan regularly and you're good to go. I highly recommend Rec Tec, outstanding quality and awesome customer service.

Back