Good cuts of beef for Ugly Drum Smoking

molooxp

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently put together a Ugly Drum Smoker. I'm looking to do a test run to see how well it works this weekend and I was looking for some recommendations on what to smoke. I tried chicken quarters last weekend and this weekend I wanted to try chicken wings and some beef. I know brisket is supposed to be difficult but I was thinking if I can't maintain a solid temp in the UDS I could always transfer it to my oven at a low temp after it has absorbed some smoke flavour. I've also read tri tip is a good choice but I can't really decide. Which is why I thought I'd ask the experts. I'd appreciate any advice anyone is willing to provide.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and in advance of any advice you may provide.

Chuck roast. You can simply rub it up and smoke until tender. Or, for something different you can Smoke it for a few hours and then put in a pan with some beer and maybe a little woostershestershire sauce and whatever other goodness you may desire. Smoke until she pulls apart easily or is tender when poked with a skewer, or as we say round here "probe tender".

There's always "pepper stout beef" too. Do a search and you'll find plenty of recipes here.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've recently put together a Ugly Drum Smoker. I'm looking to do a test run to see how well it works this weekend and I was looking for some recommendations on what to smoke. I tried chicken quarters last weekend and this weekend I wanted to try chicken wings and some beef. I know brisket is supposed to be difficult but I was thinking if I can't maintain a solid temp in the UDS I could always transfer it to my oven at a low temp after it has absorbed some smoke flavour. I've also read tri tip is a good choice but I can't really decide. Which is why I thought I'd ask the experts. I'd appreciate any advice anyone is willing to provide.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and in advance of any advice you may provide.

I would personally stick to cheaper cuts of pork and chicken before jumping to an expensive hunk of meat if you haven't mastered temp control on the uds yet. If you feel comfortable chuck is a great alternative to brisket (what J-rod said)!

Make & cook a fatty and some atomic buffalo turds.
Always the first things that go when i smoke for my friends

Fatty for a short cook and then a pork butt for a longer cook.

Big fat yard bird....spatchcocked and get that drum as hot as it will burn!

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it will be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.

*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Thank you.

Hi all,

First off, thank you all for all of the friendly advice you provided me. I decided to stick with the chicken wings and I managed to get the last Chuck Roast left at the grocery store. I just had a quick question for anyone who has experience with Chuck Roasts.

It's a beautiful, well marbled piece of meat but it's only 1kg. It's the perfect size for my dad and myself with some bonus leftovers. However, I know majority of the posts here include substantially larger pieces. Because of it's small size the meat side is larger than the cap (fat portion and top) and bottom. The meat is much more exposed than the top and bottom of the roast. It kind looks like a massive steak and has to rest on it's side, the meat side. Am I okay to apply rub to the whole thing? Also is it okay if I smoke it on it's side, like a steak? Or is it crucial that I find a way to stand it upright with the fat on top or on the bottom? And finally, I'm assuming that the cook/smoke time from most recipes will be reduced since my roast is smaller. Am I wrong to assume that?

Sorry for the long post but I just want to be as thorough as possible. Thanks again for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

Edit: Forgot to add that if all goes well I might run to the market and by a chicken to do a yard bird. To be honest, I'm pretty psyched. Thanks again friends.

Chuck roasts are a great cook, and a good value if you buy the "chuck roll", it's boneless and weighs 15 lbs+. You can cut your own roasts and use the remainder for grinding.

With one your size, plan on turning it several times, with a butt or brisket I use the fat cap as a heat shield, with a chuck like you described turning should balance out the color. I wouldn't mess with standing it on edge or end. Chucks do like a wrapped finish (foil or paper with some broth for liquid). I cook mine until they are around 160° and have good color then wrap and cook until tender. I keep mine in the slicing range (not pulling).

NEOJATV.jpg

Another good beef cook in a drum is brisket points, they are easier to manage than a whole brisket or a flat, but they are fattier and have a little more waste.... but taste great. Also they are good ammunition for burnt ends.

Al5h8UN.jpg

Back