bge question

jimbonelson

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a large green egg, thinking about taking it to amateur back yard cooks, I understand they break easy. Any advise on moving them.

I remove the grate and platesetter, then put some pieces of cloth between the top ring and firebox to cushion it when trailering. The outer pieces are sturdier than the inner.

I remove the grate and platesetter, then put some pieces of cloth between the top ring and firebox to cushion it when trailering. The outer pieces are sturdier than the inner.

This is pretty much we do. We use egg crate foam instead of the cloth. We have traveled 4000 miles and we have never broken anything but a plate setter. Take the time if you want to arrive all in one piece! Our eggs are all in carts, I would not recommend taking one on a nest.

Eggspert

I built a box for my xl with handicap shower bars and it works great, turn it over for a stand! Yoga mats for cushion....

http://www.potlifter.com/

Get one. Two people can move an Egg (with or without the internal ceramic) more easily than rolling it over uneven ground. Don't use my often (Egg stays on my deck) but when I do, it's a backsaver.

Everytime I move my Kamodo I cringe, cant imagine moving those BGEs a lot.

We built crates for ours. Started out with just a round hole in the top. Later I cut one side out to get them in the crate easier. I've never had one move in the crate. I have two that we take to comps and have the openings facing each other. I use a folding table in between to keep them apart but like I said I've never had one shift. We have a toy hauler now and I pack them the same. I made a heavy duty furniture dolly with castors and a handle from Harbor freight for hauling the crates around.

Two pictures from our put everything in a minivan days. Best views I have of the crates.

noroomforkidsLOL.jpg

thesetup.jpg

Mine is in a nest in the front of my enclosed 6 x 10 trailer and I don't even strap it in or take any of the guts out. I just put all heavy things tightly around it so it has no where to move. EGGs are surprisingly resilient. I know Chris Capell with Dizzy Pig travels similarly (EGGs in nests), but he does strap them in, but with all the guts and also other equipment tightly packed around it. He just has a 6x10 also and puts 2 L and 2 XLs. I've never heard him complain of any issue with damage and he's done over 115 contests over the years. Here's a pic just before he left for his comp this past weekend, https://www.facebook.com/DizzyPigBB...42524214581/10152114879704582/?type=1&theater.

I've hauled mine all over too strapped to the wall of my trailer with few problems. One in a nest and a couple in a table. The table is beefed up and they rest on a patio stone. The stone gets busted and gets replaced once a year or so but seems to absorb all the bouncing and the Eggs are fine. Just don't leave the platesetters in. They will break from the bouncing.

I'll echo the suggestion of the pot lifter. I can move my large egg around myself if necessary. Also, remove your internals, yes, they will all crack over time, but removing them and packing them in towels, foam, bubble wrap will just prolong the life. Plus, if you're doing it often, it's a good time to do a thorough cleanout of your egg.

I invested in the Eggnest Handlers for my 3 Larges. The egg is secured with two braces in the rear and the Handler makes for moving them a breeze! Ratchet straps and E-track in the trailer. Remove the platesetters and bungee down the lid and I'm good to go.

Back