First Comp Results and THANK YOU!

TheDeuce

Full Fledged Farker
Tire Smoke BBQ competed in our first comp at PigMania in Lima, OH (KCBS) this week and had an absolute blast. Learned a lot, met a ton of fantastic people, and got hooked even further on competition BBQ.

Results:
9th overall out of 29
1st Chicken
9th Ribs
22nd Pork
12th Brisket

We could not be any happier with the result and already know what went wrong with the pork.

HUGE thank you to the Brethren for freely giving an honest opinion when we posted our practice cooks and for giving techniques and tips to help us learn how to get a good start!

2dsh1n8.jpg

14y339w.png

ra264n.jpg

Other than the first/small MM piece the pork box LOOKS pretty decent. Was it underdone? The tubes look good too.

Nice job on your first foray into the world of competition BBQ.

Other than the first/small MM piece the pork box LOOKS pretty decent. Was it underdone? The tubes look good too.

Nice job on your first foray into the world of competition BBQ.

In appearance we got 9s across the board on all meats except one 8 on Pork. The tubes/chunks were a little off on tenderness. What killed us was three 7s on taste. We're 99% sure we know what it is they didn't like so we'll see how our next comp goes. With as unpredictable as comp judging is sometimes, our 1st place chicken will end up DAL next time.

WTG on you first comp. I'd like to both congratulate you and send condolences as you are now officially hooked. May you have a long and prosperous run at this crazy pastime we're all so passionate about. I used to look at what I considered crazy hobbies, 'till I was under a canopy one day at a comp trying to hold it down so it wouldn't get blown away and soaking wet while trying to keep our turn in boxes dry and thought what would those fine folks think of my crazy assed hobby? Welcome aboard.

I was behind you at the awards. So excited that a new team kicked everyone's butt in chicken! Congrats! welcome to the party!

Thanks!
Congrats to you for your RGC!!

We had a blast and are definitely hooked now.
We're considering the Marietta comp now...not sure though.

Kettering on July 8th is a very good comp and not too far from you.

We looked at Kettering but that's during mine and my teammate's company Summer shut-down so we're both traveling with our families. The 10th is actually my wife's birthday, so that whole week is devoted to her.
Happy Wife, Happy Life!

Back