1/4 or 1/2?

THoey1963

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I am flip flopping on whether I want / need to get the 1/2" upgrade on the LSG firebox. Not too concerned about it as far as controlling temps in cold weather, but more for the life of the firebox. It's $450 for the 1/2 inch, but would it pretty much last forever then?

I can't imagine ever wearing through 1/4" thick steel. That's farkin thick!

1/2" is that much more to heat, but once warm will stay warm longer.

I really don't know Terry. Why do you think you'd need the 1/2"? Just for durability? Personally, I'd probably just do the 1/4...

If you can swing it go 1/2" (it is an expensive upgrade), if not go 1/4" and add the ash pan. $95 bucks, easier to clean out, keeps hot coals off the bottom of the smoker, extra layer of protection where it is needed most.

Thanks guys. Probably over thinking it. Yeah, I was only thinking about it from a durability standpoint. My first smoker of this type, hell, first anything. Just want to make sure I don't have a rust bucket in 5 years...

Thanks, I did order the ash pan...

I can't imagine ever wearing through 1/4" thick steel. That's farkin thick!

1/2" is that much more to heat, but once warm will stay warm longer.

I really don't know Terry. Why do you think you'd need the 1/2"? Just for durability? Personally, I'd probably just do the 1/4...

This ^^

I'm bettin' you can't wear out the 1/4, (unless you cookin everyday)

This ^^

If you can swing it go 1/2" (it is an expensive upgrade), if not go 1/4" and add the ash pan. $95 bucks, easier to clean out, keeps hot coals off the bottom of the smoker, extra layer of protection where it is needed most.

And this ^^

IMO 1/2 is good for colder or windier climates for impoved heat retention. Like Shag said if it's only for durability it's not worth it. Very good point by Greene as well. I ordered the 1/4 pullout ash pan (solely for easier clean up which makes it effortless) and the bottom layer is 1/2" with the pan. As far as the top, if you're going to get oven (I can't remember) then that helps with heat retention as well. Plus Ol' Joe is right as I don't think you will wear out the firbox in your lifetime and just in case you do more of an excuse to get a new toy. :becky:

I know everyone has a differnt opinion on such matters. Thus here is mine. The thicker the better. No question of it in my opinion. If you can afford it, the money you spend now will save you problems in the future. Once up to temp the thicker pits are more efficient than the thinner ones in my experience. Again this is just my preference but the thicker steel is the way to go.

Thanks Sako. I've backed off that ledge now. This thing is going to be pricey enough without adding that if I don't need it. Adding that would put it in the 4K range and I don't have to pay for shipping... :eek:

I chose the 1/2" box for a couple of reasons,...
1.) The thermal mass! Once that 1/2" plate heats up it's a lot easier to maintain temps in the rest of the pit, it also works in conjunction with my warmer/oven in keeping heat loss to a minimum, increasing efficiency and fuel economy. I'll recoup the money spent on the upgrade by saving on cooking wood expenses.:wink:
2.) Durability! It's hard to do but even 1/4" plate can warp with high heat and I've seen doors become hard to close and intake dampers become difficult to adjust,... my 1/2" box will never get hot enough for any of that to happen. There is also the corrosion factor to consider,... rust in the firebox is inevitable and I know that my great Grand-kids will be able to use my pit one day without having to replace the firebox on it.:-D

Thanks Sako. I've backed off that ledge now. This thing is going to be pricey enough without adding that if I don't need it. Adding that would put it in the 4K range and I don't have to pay for shipping... :eek:

I feel ya! Those options add up quick plus it looks like the prices on some things and smokers have gone up slightly. I mean obviously it wouldn't hurt to have thicker metal like SGH said but the costs don't justify the need given where we live. No real advantage IMO.

my shirley fire box is 3/8 thick. i also built a 1/4 inch steel ash pan. once up to temp i need one wrist size split every 40 to 50 mins. thick steel is awesome.:becky:

my shirley fire box is 3/8 thick. i also built a 1/4 inch steel ash pan. once up to temp i need one wrist size split every 40 to 50 mins. thick steel is awesome.:becky:

Your'e cheating...your whole cooker is 3/8". :laugh:

i chose the 1/2" box for a couple of reasons,...
1.) the thermal mass! Once that 1/2" plate heats up it's a lot easier to maintain temps in the rest of the pit, it also works in conjunction with my warmer/oven in keeping heat loss to a minimum, increasing efficiency and fuel economy. I'll recoup the money spent on the upgrade by saving on cooking wood expenses.:wink:
2.) durability! It's hard to do but even 1/4" plate can warp with high heat and i've seen doors become hard to close and intake dampers become difficult to adjust,... My 1/2" box will never get hot enough for any of that to happen. There is also the corrosion factor to consider,... Rust in the firebox is inevitable and i know that my great grand-kids will be able to use my pit one day without having to replace the firebox on it.:-d

+1^^^

I'm not sure which options your are getting but I would get the oven over the firebox. It's not that much more and has more benefits.

I have a 24x48 LSG offset and went with the insulated firebox given I use it up here in the north throughout the winter. I also did it a bit for the safety aspect of having the firebox not be molten red, though it's still plenty hot. In addition, I have the 1/4" ash pan.

I have found that I have a hard time keeping temps in the pit down. It's 24F out right now and have been doing ribs this evening for my daughter's bday and it's been running above 270 all day. It likes to run about 280-290 in these outdoor temps. After a few hours, it heats up to 300+ about the time the last of the coals from the previous split are gone, so I end up using the propane starter to restart wood throughout the cook (more so in warm temps than today - only twice so far). I'm thinking of pulling out the grate and putting it right on top of the ash pan so I can keep enough coals close by when it's time to add a split.

In the summer I use really small splits but then have to add wood about every 20-30 min instead. I kind of wish I went with 1/4 and got the grill option on top.

OK, after all that, it was new to me last August so I'm still learning on it.

Here is what I ordered:

• 24"x24"x22" square grill top firebox, 24''x 30''x36'' vertical upright smoker
  • Warming oven 24"
  • Slide out internal ash pan for easy clean out of fire box made from 1/4'' steel with 2 handles
  • Ash rake with cool touch handle
  • Fire poker with cool touch handle
  • Utensil storage rack located on the back of the smoker
  • GURU Thread adaptor/port
  • Temperature probe hole-one on the oven and one on the smoker
  • Stainless Steel Front Shelf
  • Charge for making table folding
  • Custom Fabrication-2 sausage hooks in the oven
  • Cool touch spring handle-on damper rods
  • Brass ball valve 1 1/4" for drain
  • pull handle-on smoker side
  • Custom Fabrication-screw bottle opener on front of oven facing out-customer to send us opener he wants to use @ N/C
  • 8" Solid rubber wheels, includes 2 fixed rear wheels and 2 swivel casters with Heavy duty swivel lock and heavy duty wheel lock. 1500 lbs capacity per wheel
  • Charcoal Basket with S baffles.
  • Gas assist/log lighter in firebox. Includes adjustable regulator, hose, brass Venturi, burner

Like I mentioned, really similar to Sako's. All that for $3580.65 without delivery since I am close enough to go pick it up.

I chose the 1/2" box for a couple of reasons,...
1.) The thermal mass! Once that 1/2" plate heats up it's a lot easier to maintain temps in the rest of the pit, it also works in conjunction with my warmer/oven in keeping heat loss to a minimum, increasing efficiency and fuel economy. I'll recoup the money spent on the upgrade by saving on cooking wood expenses.:wink:
2.) Durability! It's hard to do but even 1/4" plate can warp with high heat and I've seen doors become hard to close and intake dampers become difficult to adjust,... my 1/2" box will never get hot enough for any of that to happen. There is also the corrosion factor to consider,... rust in the firebox is inevitable and I know that my great Grand-kids will be able to use my pit one day without having to replace the firebox on it.:-D

^^^^^what he said, I too went with the 1/2" fb on my LSG and have no regrets.

I am going to be under a STEEP learning curve when I get this. I have been around stick burners before, but never cooked on one myself. Read a lot here, so that will help, but I am sure the first few runs are going to be interesting.

That's gonna be one nice cooker! It's amazing how quickly the upgrades add up.

Stick burners are easy. You pick a temp, add a split when it gets 20 degrees or so below, wait 45-60 minutes and repeat. The biggest adjustment is getting used to cooking at 275-325 instead of dialing in at exactly 300. You will be a pro after the seasoning cook!

Edit: You are a Texan. Cooking on an offset is naturally in your blood.:thumb:

Back