Pig Headed

LongTong

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Any brethren out there have suggestions for cooking a whole pig head? My crazy wife :loco: is a dentist and is learning to place implants. It was suggested she practice on a pig head. She only needs the skull and it was suggested she boil it for hours until the flesh falls off. So, she comes home with a whole fresh pig head from the local carniceria. :doh: I thought to myself "why not smoke it and enjoy all those tasty morsels first before boiling it to death".

I was thinking of doing it like a butt, smoke until 165 internal and then rap in foil to about 200 degrees. How or where do I probe it? In the mouth? drill a small hole on top? Up the spine? Up the snout?

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated...Thanks in advance!

Head cheese?

http://www.simplebites.net/how-to-make-homemade-head-cheese/

Homemade Head Cheese

Well, after four and a half years of blogging in this space, here we are with a title that may or may not get me into trouble.

It was a short interview with Dan Barber that gave me the gumption to share this charcuterie tutorial of sorts. He was talking about his theory of The Third Plate and the need to support the whole farm with our eating choices. While he is slightly elitist in his approach, I have to agree with his thoughts on food sustainability.

The way I see it is, if you’re eating bacon, why not be open to trying delicious charcuterie made from other parts of the body? In the end, it’s all pork.

Treat it like a butt, season, smoke til the color you want and then wrap til tender.
You can leave it unwrapped the whole time but cover the ears, they will brown fast..also remove the eyes. They pop out when heated. You can replace them with olives or something pretty. lol

Good luck with it!

edited to add.... wash it well before cooking!

Like it

Treat it like a butt, season, smoke til the color you want and then wrap til tender.
You can leave it unwrapped the whole time but cover the ears, they will brown fast..also remove the eyes. They pop out when heated. You can replace them with olives or something pretty. lol

Good luck with it!

edited to add.... wash it well before cooking!

"They pop out when heated":

Awesome. Just like a Deep Sea Rockfish pulled from great depths...Cow Cod Head Cheese anybody?

And...Yes, I will wash it well and brine too...

Thanks

Back