Fancier PP

arne

Reaction score
We are having 12 people over for a slightly fancy dinner. However, I want them to experience the goodness of the UDS. So, I am thinking about doing a pulled pork, but I don't want just do a French roll with PP. I would like to serve the PP really as a meat with a bit of sauce and then have one or two veggie things to the side and perhaps something like baked potatoes or something.

But I would love suggestions. Got some?

You could serve it on top of a crispy potato pancake or hash brown cake. I think you need something with vinegar on the plate to cut the richness too. A fancier than usual slaw maybe or a sweet and sour vegetable stir fry.

If you are cooking a pork butt, separate off the money muscle before putting it in the smoker. Cook the MM to slice tender and the rest to pull tender. Then, you can serve sliced, pulled and chopped BBQ. It looks good on a serving tray too.

Finished.jpg

I like it on a plate with some coleslaw and pickles. Maybe you can do a fresh apple slaw with a pickle relish or something.

pulled pork tostadas, pulled pork on mac and cheese, pulled pork puff pastries, pulled pork quiches, pulled pork stuffed peppers,

I try to elevate simple bbq dishes quite a bit. Here is an example of a couple of menus I did for dinner parties I have had.

Seasonal Salad - Autumn one of my salads I make is a kale salad with apples, tomatoes, very thinly sliced red onions, roasted/shelled pumpkin seeds (can use sunflower seeds, walnuts or pecans) w/ a pomegranite vinegarette.

Pulled pork - I usually do a really rough and chunky pull. This gives it more of a rustic look than something that is chopped or finely pulled. Also if cooked correctly you get a really lucious texture to the meat. I will dress it with a eastern carolina finishing sauce just a touch to elevate the flavor of the pork.

Fancy slaw - One of the slaws I make is an apple and fennel slaw w/ greek yogurt dressing. It is a change of pace from the typical rich mayo based slaws that people are used too. This is a nice light and refreshing slaw, that has the slight anise flavor of the fennel.

Bread - I really do like putting it all together with a ciabatta bun when doing something other than the cheap white buns. I find that French bread crust is too tough and really hides the texture of the pulled pork. A nice smoked cheesy corn bread served on the side works great also with pulled pork. It won't make a sandwich, but serves the same purpose of a dinner roll.

Starchy side - I am really partial to using sweet potatoes. Whether it is mashed/pureed, roasted, french fry style, I like them anyway I can get them. Do something different than the typical American brown sugar/sweet based Sweet potato. I prefer something savory that allows the natural sweetness of the Sweet potato to really shine. Another thing to do is macaroni and cheese. There are so many ways to really elevate mac and cheese and no matter how you do it, it goes well with BBQ.

Veggies - Pickled veggies go really well with BBQ. It cuts the richness of the fat. Whether you do a simple pickled cucumber or pickle other items such as green beans, carrots, radishes. Pickled veggies are great way to really add another note that compliments the meal. Also roasted root vegetables are in season right now and make a great side dish to BBQ.

pulled pork tostadas, pulled pork on mac and cheese, pulled pork puff pastries, pulled pork quiches, pulled pork stuffed peppers,
^^^
pulled pork tamales, pulled pork empanadas, pulled pork egg rolls, etc...

Back