What's Your Suprise ?

Mike Twangzer

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Let me start out by saying how great all the cooks (food not people) look and how tasty descriptions and pictures sound. I always get my mouth watering ..... BUT .... I never was really sold on Fattys ... that is till I tried one out ... cheese, mushrooms & onions on the PBC ... SURPRISE !!! It was well worth the effort and tasted great !!! Now I understand ... What's your revelation ?

I mainly do two kinds. 1st, Jimmy Dean hot filled with sliced jalapeño and sharp cheddar. 2nd, a good Italian sausage (best quality I can find) filled with green, red and orange bell peppers with mozzarella and parmesian. They are both great.

Cream cheese, pastrami & Swiss......"Deli Fattie"

MollysBdayJuly2012Pt2048.jpg

Thanks, Gerry....I really like that combo.....a medium spiced sausage, straight cream cheese, the Swiss holds up pretty good under heat....'strami is usually a double row inside....bacon's always good & some cherry smoke....

The whole thing isn't very spicy, but has good deli elements together.....:clap:

To maybe better answer the original question (I guess the revelation doesn't have to be limited to fattys?)

A good pull on the pork set me up on my heels.....

PPork.png

But, as far as fatties.....seeing others that really know what they're doing can be the inspiration that pushes things forward, eh?

This is a buddy's 9.2 pound enchilada fattie ........

9116934032_e1dc0960d8_z.jpg

9114698255_4936d7e99c_z.jpg

(Courtesy Beerrtooth from Washington state)

How could you not want to try?

For me it was smoked Italian sausage. I threw some on the smoker one day just for the heck of it after I finished a cook and there were still a couple hours left before we had a big cookout. They were amazing and a couple years later friends ask me to make them.

Still amazing ... too many new things and not enough time to try. I am encouraged to try a lot more new things. I guess also that some surprises could be called disappointments ... but that's a new thread... thanks to all ...

I like to do a Ruben one with ground beef as the meat that I add some cure to for a little corned beef flavor and color, then I layer it with Swiss cheese and sauerkraut,roll it up and wrap in bacon and smoke until done. Serve it on some toasted rye bread with thousand island dressing and I'm in heaven.

Greek Fatty

One of my family favorites is to fill it with fresh spinach, garlic, feta, kalamata olives and taziki (cucumber sauce). Once I even put in some pre smoked chicken chunks. It's was worth the effort.

Bingo Mike! Mine is fatty as well. Yet to try it. :oops:

Unacceptable! Next bash I'll cook several different types of fatties and you will be eating them. On biscuits! No excuses!

While it wasn't totally surprising, Mike brought a dried fruit type thing to the last bash - not wrapped in bacon, not covered in salty stuff, no melted cheese, etc. They were getting passed around and I was thinking they looked kinda nice, but didn't think much about them until I ate one. They were farking delicious and a great complement (or contrast as the case may be) to the heavy stuff we were devouring that day. A fantastic addition that I didn't expect!

My friend brought me two back straps and two deer hind quarters. It was my first time cooking deer and always heard how tough it can be.

I cooked the back straps first. treated them like lean beef (which i've always had luck with). they were fantastic and melted in the mouth of the eater.

The true test came when I did the hind quarter. cooked a little lower temp, wrapped in a bacon weave, injected with creole butter. Once again, Nailed it.

The surprise? I was sure I would screw it up. I've eaten a lot of deer, but never attempted to cook myself.

I always do fatties when I'm going to a party or having one at my house with a newer group of people. The sheer ridiculousness of them to people with all that bacon weave and stuffed awesomeness becomes a topic of conversation for hours. I really enjoy making them for people because otherwise they probably never would.

Back