Not your average UDS.....

linhardt

Reaction score
A friend came across these at an event called Meatpalooza in Columbia Missouri. I did not personally see these but a friend sent me the link after he saw them. I guess you could almost call these Pretty Drum Smokers (PDS). Definitely would like to see these up close sometime.

http://www.hunsakersmokers.com/

The site is extremely slow and labored while loading this morning. It might be quicker to drive to Columbia and see them than waiting for the site to load (LOL).

Thanks for sharing the link. Looks intriguing! I'd love to have a UDS, but don't have tools, skills to make my own. This seems like a reasonable product for someone like me.

Just as an aside, I really wish the folks that sell smokers would get assistance with web design. As a general rule, many of these newbie sites lack information that customers (well, at least THIS potential customer) would like to see.

For the above site: how can you not show the interior of the smoker? Why no pictures of it working? What's the spacing between racks? Where's the info on how much stuff it can hold, both in area measurements and in practical terms that cooks can relate to (e.g., "using both racks, you can comfortably fit 6 eight pound Boston Butts or two full packer brisket").

Sorry, I'll stop the rant. Thanks lindhart for the link!

Bruce

For $575 I don't see anything special, 3 models, 1 cooking grate. Not a very good description on build or photos.

I think the intake may be on the bottom and the charcoal basket has a solid side. I'm guessing it would be more suitable to a reverse burn, like a gravity feed. Hot coals on the bottom and the unlit on top of that.

Not for $575. BUT, I'm in the "I can build it" crowd. What is the square box on the side? Fold down table maybe? Their charcoal basket looks like a decent idea.

Not for $575. BUT, I'm in the "I can build it" crowd. What is the square box on the side? Fold down table maybe? Their charcoal basket looks like a decent idea.

The square box is a plate for you to put a logo on.

Neat drums. $575 neat? I'm not sure, but they do look good. I'd like to see more pictures (any pictures!?!?) of the intake.

Thermo in the exhaust pipe?! Id pass on these turds as there are guys on CL building better for $400.

I am the same way maybe that is the reason they don't post too many descriptors about it. Guys like you and I would use them as quasi plans and build the same product for a fraction of the cost.

Thermo in the exhaust pipe?! Id pass on these turds as there are guys on CL building better for $400.

that's what I thought. unless that thermo makes a 90 bend and ends at grate level, the temp reading in the stack wont we close to the cooking temp.

UDS are suppose to be a low budget do-it-yourself smoker. I would have a hard time pulling the plug on $500 for a UDS.

For around $400 you can get, a drilled new drum, and a BPS (Big Poppa Smoker kit) and have a great smoker. All you gotta do is assemble which quite simple.

The mark up on this is insane. I don't understand why anyone would buy one of these at that price point.. Even if you lack all ability to operate a drill (which is really all you need to make a UDS) you could hire someone to make you one for less than that. if you're going to spend that kind of money, just buy a 22" WSM and save yourself over $125! A UDS is just a poor man's WSM anyway.

I agree that $575 is steep. I'm guessing that the barrel is not a true 55 gal drum cause it looks smooth to me, so maybe they are build that as well. Not sure though cause I have not seen in person. I don't like the thermo placement either. The basket it kind of interesting and would like to see comparison with the standard expanded steel mesh basket and heat diffuser as far as performance goes.

The one footed controlled intake on the bottom is going to be dumping ashes out like crazy, and you better not have it on a wooden deck, if not get plugged with ashes all together. The vortex air circulation within the drum eliminating hot spots, IMHO is BS, and will create heat loss/more fuel used to get the required temps. But what do I know...

Last edited:
For $289 you can buy a Pit Barrel Cooker that many 55 gallon UDS owners say cooks better than their UDS's.

Back