Gyros in the Shirley

Great post! Looks great, SD, and something that would be great to put into the mix - been trying to branch out a little bit for my poor family so they can get some new & exciting stuff to eat - this fits that bill nicely. Looks great!

Mmmmmm Greek Meatloaf.........

Gyros I get are shaved meat, seasoned Greek Style.........stack a bunch of thin steaks on a skewer over fire then shave off.........

You could maybe but the meat into an elastic mesh bag and then hang that? Might end up oozing out the holes but worth a shot.

Nice go with the skewer. The only vertical prep of gyro meat I've seen is what Smitty's shown above and those grey cones you see cooking in a food truck/street cart/beach-board walk joint. At home I've done the meatloaf version and then sliced and I've also sliced a boneless lamb roast (slices so thin, there's only meat on one side :wink:) and cooked on a CI griddle on the gasser. I've often thought about stuffing the Greek meatloaf in some casings and then smoking/grilling/slicing ... I'll post up if I get to that.

_MG_9840_zpsvgftngbs.jpg

Your cooks remind me of going to a home run derby Shaggy... You always know what you are going to see. :thumb:

Phabulous!
Very nice experimenting Shaggy!

But...I agree with SmittyJonz...that ain't no gyros but a gyros meatloaPh.
I've never seen it in a meatloaPh style in Greece or in the NetherPharkinglands.
Only have seen it here on the Brethren like that a couple of times.

Not to hijack but here are some pics of a Greek gyros place where I've been going for years.

1235091_10151851101779695_772736985_n.jpg

1236805_10151851101864695_1683591122_n.jpg

1236440_10151851101934695_1553953837_n.jpg

Padawan,Dennessey and Phrasty

1005355_10151851102034695_1908921013_n.jpg

Thank you for posting! I am doing Al Pastor this Thursday for the bosses birthday at work and do the sliced pork method. I may get some boo's and don't from fellow Brethren but am thinking of trying your idea here with the addition of Transglutaminase, (meat glue) to hold it together. Anyone have experience with that? Apparently, that's what the meat companies use that sell the pre-made Gyro meat.

I'm MUCH more impressed with the on the fly thinking and turning out good eats when things aren't going to plan!!:thumb::thumb:

Great great job.

I'll second lantern's sentiment.

I'd gladly devour a gyro from you any time.... and the results sure came out better than I expected from reading your initial description.

May have to run through the drive thru now...great save! I'm sure it had awesome flavors.

I've thought about trying the SmittyJones version in post #23 with thin slices of beef, lamb and pork. Just never figured out the pit details. Maybe a skewer with the bottom plate like yours, with two handles at the top on the PBC?

I look forward to your next attempt.

May have to run through the drive thru now...great save! I'm sure it had awesome flavors.

I've thought about trying the SmittyJones version in post #23 with thin slices of beef, lamb and pork. Just never figured out the pit details. Maybe a skewer with the bottom plate like yours, with two handles at the top on the PBC?

I look forward to your next attempt.

You could do it on a traditional rotisserie.

I had this setup on my pg500. I drilled a hole, and made a vertical rotisserie. It worked great. The Gyros in my area are from ground meat, not the thin slices. They are much denser than meatloaf, and shaved off with a little razor thing. Texture wise, they look the same as mine.

I mix it up like you would a sausage farce. Until it's dense, and a little sticky. No binder. 50/50 lamb and beef, some garlic, Oregano, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. That's it. Pack it in tight to containers like this, and let it sit in fridge overnight.

Run a knife around the inside of the container, and it pops right out. I use the bottom and top set of prongs that come with the rotisserie. It works great, and taste just like the restaurants in my area.

This is what I'm used to seeing where I live, and what I was trying to re-create. I Got very close in the post above.

Thanks Mr Tony. That's exactly what we get here. I used to work in greektown downtown Chicago, and every gyro place sold them that way. I had a good recipe but I should have done even a little research before I dove in with both feet. Your method looks like the what I was after. Thanks for the info!

And now I'll have to try the thin cut meat way too...

Back