Shirley fabrication changes...

Beentown

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I see a lot of guys are in line for a Shirley and it got me to thinking if I were in their shoes what I would change on my rig if I could. And it wasn't too cost prohibitive. I have a 24x60 trailer model with warmer and cabinet doors.

20150507_154448_zps4m9caa2n.jpg

The changes I would make would be:

- Small shelf on the back of the main cook chamber for holding temp gauges with two or three probe inserts.

- Extra shelf for the main chamber.

- Charcoal pan for the main chamber so I could use it for direct cooking.

Another change I may want once it gets colder is for an insulated firebox but I have my UDS and Pitmaster for then I guess.

Any changes you would make to your Shirley if you were on the wait list?

I have one almost identical to yours and agree with everything you have said. Insulated firebox, shelf on the back for probes, and larger trailer with more storage...

I don't find myself using the warmer at all but I know a lot of people do. I might even not have the warmer and just get a larger main chamber.

Stainless shelf is a must! Much easier to clean than expanded steel. Cabinet doors are easy on the shoulders and adds a little grate area. Oh, and bump it up to a 30x90 with a 6' wide trailer.:whoo:I'm just sayin'...

Attachments

• IMG_8268.jpg
    IMG_8268.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 629
I think I am going to make a lip around my shelf so I can put cutting boards on it.

I think I am going to make a lip around my shelf so I can put cutting boards on it.

Before I upgraded to stainless, I had planned on drilling some holes in a few cutting boards and mounting them on the shelf with bolts and wing nuts. If you put a damp dishrag on the expanded steel shelf your cutting boards won't slide. Give that a shot before you pull out the welder.

I'm on the waiting list and started with a regular round cooker . I added 4 racks on main chamber, 3rd rack in warmer, ss shelf, logo, ins firebox, burner, ash pan in firebox

Only change I would add is a burner. Mine is 24x60 cabinet, ss shelf, insulated fb and modified trailer with removable tongue. I do like the shelf for temp monitoring.

Excellent thread :thumb:

I'm in line and was gnna ask about wrapping the front main chamber shelf around the front of the cooker for a little more shelf space.

I also am going to see about raising the height of the main chamber shelf up to a more comfortable height for me, which I am assuming means essentially having to raise the entire cooker? Haven't talked to Mr. Shirley yet but those are my main 2 off the top of my head.

:heh:

I would add a secure place for my BGE-Mini. Great grill when cooking for 1-2. 10" grill maybe take 12"X12" of space. So when you got your q rocking at temp and you want to grill a quick meal- it's there.

I would add a secure place for my BGE-Mini. Great grill when cooking for 1-2. 10" grill maybe take 12"X12" of space. So when you got your q rocking at temp and you want to grill a quick meal- it's there.

That's an awesome idea :clap:

Tempting to do my Big Joe that way but that would take up some real estate :laugh:

I'm on the waiting list as well for a 30x80 round cooker, but have been seriously thinking about changing to the cabinet doors before build. I've also thought about the ash pan as well. One thing I may ask is to make sure the bottom shelf is high enough that I can place several full steam pans in with liquid. I like to cook indirectly with beer, Apple juice, and water. I currently place in two steam pans below meat being cooked. Not sure if I can do that or not, but would like the ability to.

I'm also debating black and silver rims?

Are the probe inserts worth it? I did not ask for those, figured the wire probes would not cause that big of an issue with seal?

I would have mine self propelled with 4 wheel drive

everything else is perfect the way it is

Wonder if it will fit in the spot for the propane tank?

The ash pan is not expensive. The cabinet doors and insulated fb are a different story. Lots of labor in those 2 upgrades. If there is space for a 3rd or 4th rack there should be plenty of space to raise the bottom rack.

I'm also debating black and silver rims?

I'm trying to find out how feasible it would be to have the whole rig totally blacked out, smoker, shelf, rims, handles, tags, thermos. I think it would look pretty slick.

I'll be seeing the Shirleys to add a damper between the firebox and warming box, add a thermometer port on the right side of the main chamber, and see what they can do to help me with the main chamber doors. This old girl's shoulders ain't what they used to be. :wink:

Last edited:
^ I agree with the damper between the FB and warmer. I wish I would've had that done to mine, but I was pinching some serious pennies just to get what I have back then. I also would've added another probe port on the right side of the main chamber, or have the shelf with ports on the opposite side.

These 3/8" doors are definitely not light! I can see where people want to add a counter-weight to help. I think that's why they're cabinet door models are becoming more and more popular. They're pretty nice!

Back