double barrel smoker (big baby smoker)

bacardi2001

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
well im finally gonna build one of these. just a couple questions.
not using one of those barrel stove kits.

should i put 2 flus between the barrels or 1 flu?

if 1 flu center or off to the side?

1 smoke stack or 2?

if 1 smoke stack back center or off to the side of the barrel?

or what different variations of smoke stack/flu?

hope this makes sense. thanks guys
this is what i have done so far
not sure why pictures uploaded sideways
thats not gonna be the stand

Attachments

• 20160211_152336.jpg
    20160211_152336.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 220
  • 20160211_152349.jpg
    20160211_152349.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 221
I've ALWAYS heard they are fuel HOGS if trying to run on charcoal. I made a T shaped UDS and it was a bit of a fuel Hog. I wouldn't want one but if I had to have one I'd stick burn in it and run 3-4 tubes between them. You could run 1 bigger diameter center exhaust or 2 smaller -one on each end.

smitty thanks for the advice
i already have 2 6" dampers so they will be 6" flues just debating 1 or 2 and location for flue/smoke stack

If you're gonna go through with it, look up the "big sky" version that they had to modify with 2 stacks and 2 flues. Should answer a bunch of your questions.

I was going to build one until I did a bunch of research and ended with a UDS for my needs.

Cheers

do you have a link? i cant seem to find it, thanks
If you're gonna go through with it, look up the "big sky" version that they had to modify with 2 stacks and 2 flues. Should answer a bunch of your questions.

I was going to build one until I did a bunch of research and ended with a UDS for my needs.

Cheers

If you build from a kit there are two 6" flues centered between the end & each rib and 2 chimneys one on each drum head

Big-Baby-No-Door-no-exhaust-stacks-but-grill-inside1.jpg

apparently its kinda tough to get those kits in southern california, at least it was a couple of years ago. no online vendor will ship to california, i havent tried it recently. but i think im going to go with 1 in the center and 2 stacks on the sides (assuming that will work?) or 2 flues 2 stacks like you posted or maybe not, i hate builds because of all the last minute changes....
If you build from a kit there are two 6" flues centered between the end & each rib and 2 chimneys one on each drum head

did you have a little accident?(bloody rag)...lol...comes with the territory, battle wounds

I built one of these and cooked on it for years. I really liked it and only retired it when I got my lonestargrillz vertical cabinet. I used the kit and went with 2 pipes connecting the 2 barrels and 2 exhaust coming out of the sides. I lined the bottom of it with firebrick and made a charcoal basket. It would run about 4 or 5 hours on a full basket of charcoal and wood mixture and then I would finish the cook splits. I would be happy answer any questions you might have.image.jpg

The exhaust was put there almost by default. I wanted shelves on each side, so the exhaust couldn't go at grate level. I don't think having them at grate level matters since it isn't an offset. I built a t shaped uds the same way on the top barrel and it cooks really well as well. One thing I did change, was moving the thermometers to the side of the barrel instead of the front. Sometimes if it was really full of meat, the thermometers would hit the meat and give false readings.

Back