Discussion Thread -> "STEAK!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our new TD category is..."STEAK!"

1562781_Completed_Gore.jpg

This is our beloved Gore's fantastic win in the 2011 Porterhouse Steak Master TD. Look at all that beautiful parsley...

As chosen by DerHusker and Code3rrt for their big fat tie in the "All American Open" Throwdown

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

DerHusker said:
O.K. guys, Kim and I have agreed upon the following catagory for the next Throwdown. As we both have a few T-Bones and Porterhouses, can we go with "Steak" as the next throwdown?

MooseLikes_zps5f21f484.jpg

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/17 through the entry submission deadline of 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/27/15.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 12 p.m. Central US Time on Monday 7/27/15

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Beef-Love Basted, Reverse-Seared Porterhouse....whew!

Here is the link to the cook: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214339

While dry brining the steak, I melted the trimmed fat scraps to make the "beef-love" juice that would used before and during the cook.
I reversed seared the porterhouse. This technique is new to me. I've done a pork loin and a tritip. It is my favorite new way to cook a steak that's for sure!:biggrin1:
All the pictures of making the beef love are in the thread too.

Beef-love will change the world.
Please except this as my official entry thingy

Y'all got your work cut out for you if you enter this TD after seeing the first horse out of the gate.

Um, yeah, I'll just be sitting over here... :mrgreen:

I see one issue with that steak after reading the cook thread. It was shared. No way no how, I would have hogged that steak to myself. Nice job.

I see one issue with that steak after reading the cook thread. It was shared. No way no how, I would have hogged that steak to myself. Nice job.

Thanks it's funny you say that because I'll usually let my two pups get the last chew and lick the bones....they did even get to see it. I filleted that sucker down to nothing Lol.
Beef love! It's the key!
:loco:

And thanks for all the kind words from everyone....I'm trying to keep up with you guys and your cooking talents!

Official Entry...

Please except this as my entry in the "steak throwdown"
I call this "Steak on a Stick"

I started with 11# of beef on bones.
Pulled the membrain and coated them with bacon grease. (A tip I got from Cowgirl). Thanks! :thumb:
IMG_0153_zpsc4n0yyjx.jpg

IMG_0154_zps4fkwuk3j.jpg

I then lightly coated them with Corse ground pepper, kosher salt and granulated garlic.
IMG_0157_zpsxhhoe1lm.jpg

Smoked them with white oak for 7 hrs (occasionally spraying them with soy sauce and water mix)
IMG_0189_zpstmltptd4.jpg

Here they are pulled and ready to eat!
IMG_0201_zpscqq759ub.jpg

IMG_0214_zpsicphyel0.jpg

Fork shot.
IMG_0221_zpsyukqqhti.jpg

Money shot. "Steak on a Stick"
IMG_0213_zpsuxr3wye8.jpg

It's been a long time since I've entered a throwdown. Hope you all are having a great summer!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Back