Introducing The Most Affordable Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker on the Market

Sucks to see these issues - not sure why door is like that from pic - if it’s the door or door jamb or hinge. Can you push it flush.? If so - may be it’s in the hinges? Cut off n reweld/replace ? Or add a push clamp at top corner. It does seem this batch was rushed after the COVID shutdown. I sent this thread to Alejandro via email.

https://www.amazon.com/LavaLock®-LL-12050-Smoker-Vertical-Handle/dp/B074TQNX88

I think on mine its the door jamb but need to do a little more investigation and measuring to confirm that. It appears the top jamb is sticking out further then the rest. Isn't no amount of clamps, hammering, etc that will take that out and correct it. I'm guessing that over time after sitting closed between leaving the factory and arriving at my place it just stayed in a warped state from being closed so long.

Just placed my order for my replacement smoker (Est. Delivery between 5/12- 5/17) while I wait for Academy to pick up the defective one. Fingers crossed the new one will be issue free.

Just a FYI for anyone looking at buying one online, Academy has a promo right now for 10% off for military, veterans, and first responders who are verified through ID.me. The discount basically covered the shipping costs for me.

On a different but related note, what is the minimal temp gauge probe length needed for the door port? I saw Smitty recommend a Tel-Tru with a 6" probe, but I was wondering if a 4" would also work. I want as much of the probe in the chamber as possible, but don't want it so long that it could potentially touch food on the middle rack.

I'm trying to set up a return on mine. I spent 25 min waiting for "live" chat and then another 20 min on CS hold until I was disconnected. I sent an email but I know I'm going to be back on hold for another 30+ min later today.
I don't know that I have a whole lot of faith that they will replace mine with one that is any better. I just don't see somone in an Academy warehouse unwrapping and inspecting OCGS's until they find one that has correct tolerances and gaskets, wrapping it and making sure I get a good one. Given we appear to be, what, 0/4 or 0/3 with this batch, I could easily see doing this all over again in 15 days.
Time to contact Scott at Southern Q and get on the list for the Jr. If something seems too good to be true... and all that.

I'm trying to set up a return on mine. I spent 25 min waiting for "live" chat and then another 20 min on CS hold until I was disconnected. I sent an email but I know I'm going to be back on hold for another 30+ min later today.
I don't know that I have a whole lot of faith that they will replace mine with one that is any better. I just don't see somone in an Academy warehouse unwrapping and inspecting OCGS's until they find one that has correct tolerances and gaskets, wrapping it and making sure I get a good one. Given we appear to be, what, 0/4 or 0/3 with this batch, I could easily see doing this all over again in 15 days.
Time to contact Scott at Southern Q and get on the list for the Jr. If something seems too good to be true... and all that.

I really like the looks of the Jr. just not sure if I can/want to swing the extra cash for it. I’ve talked to 1-2 that bought the gravity feed in this last shipment that don’t have the issues we have come across.

So, I have an Academy right down the street from me, but no luck with having any in stock. Had to order online. If anything is wrong with it, I'm just gonna return it and move on to a Southern Q or Stumps.

Just placed my order for my replacement smoker (Est. Delivery between 5/12- 5/17) while I wait for Academy to pick up the defective one. Fingers crossed the new one will be issue free.

Just a FYI for anyone looking at buying one online, Academy has a promo right now for 10% off for military, veterans, and first responders who are verified through ID.me. The discount basically covered the shipping costs for me.

On a different but related note, what is the minimal temp gauge probe length needed for the door port? I saw Smitty recommend a Tel-Tru with a 6" probe, but I was wondering if a 4" would also work. I want as much of the probe in the chamber as possible, but don't want it so long that it could potentially touch food on the middle rack.

When you returned it, did they refund shipping also?

So, as I can't get anyone at Academy on the phone or computer, I was poking around my smoker. What I have figured out is that the door is actually straight. It is the frame of the rest of the smoker that is curved. The door may be the only thing that is plumb on this sucker. It begins after the chimney and goes back about an inch in total. On the bright side, after using a bunch of kamado gasket, the door will mostly pass the dollar bill test (the irony). I have paid for my curiosity in the form of about 10 metal splinters. I don't know. Academy may win by simply refusing to respond to me. The closest store is 2.5 hours from me so that isn't an option

When you returned it, did they refund shipping also?

My first unit (the "bad" one) was picked up from a store so there weren't any shipping costs. They haven't picked it up or refunded yet, but they are supposed to be contacting me in the next day or two to schedule the pickup/return.

How did I get them to agree to come pick it up instead of me having to return it? I called the store and explained the situation to the local store manager.

As a heads up, online/shipped orders are handled differently than in store pickups. You can return a shipped product to the store, but Academy online can't seem do anything with a product you bought in-store.

So, as I can't get anyone at Academy on the phone or computer, I was poking around my smoker. What I have figured out is that the door is actually straight. It is the frame of the rest of the smoker that is curved. The door may be the only thing that is plumb on this sucker. It begins after the chimney and goes back about an inch in total. On the bright side, after using a bunch of kamado gasket, the door will mostly pass the dollar bill test (the irony). I have paid for my curiosity in the form of about 10 metal splinters. I don't know. Academy may win by simply refusing to respond to me. The closest store is 2.5 hours from me so that isn't an option

Interesting that you are having such an issue getting through. I have contacted them twice so far, both via chat and have had no issue. Just a small 3-4 minute wait time. I will do more measuring to see if my cooker is the same as I haven’t sent it back yet. On mine I think it may be an out of alignment door jamb as mentioned before. I was instructed to send pictures in which I did but it seems like in my experience the return process is a little slow.

This is what I was talking about. These pics are with the strait edge flush to the front of the charcoal chimney section.. hard to get a good picture with the cell phone but I'm sure yall get the idea.

Attachments

• 20210504_171812.jpg
    20210504_171812.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210504_171821.jpg
    20210504_171821.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 154
  • 20210504_171827.jpg
    20210504_171827.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 154
Finally got through on the chat with Academy. They didn't even suggest replacing it with a new one. They just said allow 7 to 10 days for pickup. Guess I'm back in the market. I have a message in with Scott at Southern Q but I guess I need to call. Ahh well if anyone near Asheville has a gravity flow or other insulated cab they want to sell, I'm lookin :)

So my defective OCGF is scheduled to be picked up by Academy on Monday and the new one is set to be delivered towards the end of next week. Fingers cross that the new one will be good to go. I'll report back once it's hear to see if it has the same issue.

Quick question about the probe length needed for the door temp gauge. Considering the door thickness, is a 4" long probe enough to get through the door and get far enough into the chamber for an accurate reading, or is a 6" needed?

I'm worried that a 6" long Tel-Tru could potentially contact the meat on the middle grate. Is this a legit concern, or is this a none issue (i.e. just get the 6" and be done with it)?

I'm waiting to get the pickup date for the OCGS. Officialy on the waitlist for a Limo Jr via AtlantaBbqStore. About 5 weeks to go...

I'm waiting to get the pickup date for the OCGS. Officialy on the waitlist for a Limo Jr via AtlantaBbqStore. About 5 weeks to go...

Sorry to hear about the issue with the OCGS. You are going to love the Limo though.

Academy in Pasadena has two.

Attachments

• CC190C87-665D-4BEB-9E30-BBA06C99F4E7.jpg
    CC190C87-665D-4BEB-9E30-BBA06C99F4E7.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 308
Sad to hear about all the problems, looked like a great cooker for the money at first glance. Guess I'll just save the money and work towards a Shirley.

Sad to hear about all the problems, looked like a great cooker for the money at first glance. Guess I'll just save the money and work towards a Shirley.

It *is* a good cooker if you get one that was built properly. If you have an Academy close by and you can look over the unit that you would be bringing home, it could be a great deal. I would just avoid the direct shipment route. I might have even tried to make it work with additional gasket material or whatnot if Academy had given me a deal on it. They made me no such offer so back it goes. Even after the pita I had with this, I have a hard time being upset at Old Country. They are trying to put out a desirable product at just over half the cost of their closest "competitor". Academy just puts them in a tough place with their pricing requirements and their QC suffers as a result.

Back