Question for the sausage makers

CarolinaQue

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
When you grind your meat for sausage, do you do a single, or a double grind? Also, what size cutting die are you using? I have 3 die's. A wagon wheel style to cut it down into smaller chunks, a 1/4" hole and a 3/16" hole. Just wondering which combination to use to get the best texture?

Also, and good recipes that you use?

I was just looking at 5/16 size right before seeing this thread. I lost my bigger one for my KA now I just have the smaller one.

I use the coarsest size on the KA grinder attachment. I'd like to go a little more coarse sometimes, so I'm thinking about getting a grinder so I can do that. I only grind once.

As HSMS mentioned, the Rytek Kutas book is great - it's a classic and a must IMO. I also like "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" by the Marianskis - a fantastic book. Not only does it have recipes, but it also has proportions laid out so you can come up with your own recipes. I can't recommend it highly enough.

There's a good site with recipes here. It looks like it's run by the Marianskis. They have a version of the site in Polish, so that may tell you something about how serious they are about sausage making.

I prefer 1/4" grind for cajun and breakfast sausage, but use 1/2" for andouille. The Kutas book is a must have.

100% agree, get the Kuta's book!!! It is like a sausage-makers bible.

I'm in the exact same boat as GTR. I use my Kitchen aid's coarsest plate, and wish I had a coarser one than that. I only grind once.

I have the kutas book and really like it. I also highly reccomend Len Poli's site for great recipes.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm

I have the Lem #8 and it came with 2 blades and one stuffing type ( Wagon Wheel ) blade. The blades are 8mm and 4.8mm. I use the 8mm which is ( .315" ) for brats, polish, burger, chili meat, etc... I use the 4.8mm ( .189" ) for breakfast sausages. I grind one time and have been really happy with the results.

To me the most important thing about grinding meat is that it needs to be partially frozen.

I dont use my grinder to stuff, but that is another thread.

Depends for me on sausage type. Brats and what I call my "not dogs" I use coarsest KA plate and grind once. For breakfast sausage patties I'll grind twice, once with coarsest KA and once with finest KA plate.

Get some good books for recipes. The internet isn't necessarily your friend with sausage recipes.The books recommended already are really good. Sausage is a bit of a different animal that other things we smoke. So, some real expert advice is very useful and prudent.

To take haveuseen's comment a bit further. Buy a stuffer. Someone here recommended the LEM 5lb to me and I am really thankful that they did. It is a world of difference in the finished product and the process for that matter.

Last edited:
There are so many variations on the same type of sausage from different sources.

The two books I use are...
1) "Great Sausagr Recipies", by Rytek Kutas
2) "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" by Stanley and Adam Marianski

These two books on sausage making are by far the best. The explanation of how cures work and what they are for is worth the price of the book. Add all of the other details on every possible aspect of sausage making and the books becomes Sausage Maker's Bibles! I like to change the spices from the proportions listed from time to time. Mix and then fry a bit and adjust the spices until you get the taste you want. You can cut the recipes down if desired, the smallest quantity the recipes are for is 10 pounds.
There is an accompanying video that Kutas produced but not worth the price, it is more of an advertisement than instructional.

When purchasing a grinder, do your homework. Different manufacturers offer various size grinding plates for different purposes. The plates I use with my grinder range from 3mm to 26mm.

Last edited:
I'm in the exact same boat as GTR. I use my Kitchen aid's coarsest plate, and wish I had a coarser one than that. I only grind once.

I have the kutas book and really like it. I also highly reccomend Len Poli's site for great recipes.

http://lpoli.50webs.com/Sausage recipes.htm

I just did a little looking around and found that there are coarser plates made aftermarket for the KA grinders. I just got a set of 4 coarse to very coarse plates plus a new knife off of Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Grinding-plate-discs-Kitchenaid-Chopper/dp/B00CG47SX0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1410491528&sr=8-2&keywords=kitchen+aid+grinder+plate"]Amazon.com: (5) Pc SET New Grinding plate discs and knife for Kitchenaid Mixer FGA Food Chopper and Meat Grinding: Electric Stand Mixers: Kitchen & Dining@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41FLf%2Bpvt9L.@@AMEPARAM@@41FLf%2Bpvt9L[/ame]

The price is high ($30 farking dollars!), esp. with shipping (not a Prime eligible purchase) but it's definitely cheaper than getting a whole other grinder just to get a bigger plate. Once I have these plates, I will have no complaints about the KA grinder for my needs. There's also a set of 5+knife available but it's even more - $45! :shocked:.

Anyway, with these larger plates, my quest for replicating TX sausage will begin in earnest.

You can get a spreadsheet for Microsoft Excel to make the size batch you want to make. Click here to download the spreadsheet -> http://www.sausagemania.com/recipes.html
Spreadsheet.jpg

I have a quick sausage question that's a little off topic from grind size. When I make sausage from a recipe I add fat from previously trimmed pork butts or ribs that I froze just for that purpose. Unfortunately there are occasions when I want to make sausage and I don't have any trimmed fat. I always see add fat back but living in the New York, Long Island area all I can find is salted fat back. Does anyone in my area know where I can buy fat back for sausage. Thanks.

I use the coarsest size on the KA grinder attachment. I'd like to go a little more coarse sometimes, so I'm thinking about getting a grinder so I can do that. I only grind once.

As HSMS mentioned, the Rytek Kutas book is great - it's a classic and a must IMO. I also like "Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages" by the Marianskis - a fantastic book. Not only does it have recipes, but it also has proportions laid out so you can come up with your own recipes. I can't recommend it highly enough.

There's a good site with recipes here. It looks like it's run by the Marianskis. They have a version of the site in Polish, so that may tell you something about how serious they are about sausage making.

This is exactly what I would have said. Spot on. All the Marianskis' books are good. I think I have them all. Their site has a lot of the stuff contained in their books. They basically read like a college textbook on sausage making from food safety, equipment, recipes, technique, smoking, fermenting, etc... Definitely worth buying (although some info overlaps in their books).

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I have a quick sausage question that's a little off topic from grind size. When I make sausage from a recipe I add fat from previously trimmed pork butts or ribs that I froze just for that purpose. Unfortunately there are occasions when I want to make sausage and I don't have any trimmed fat. I always see add fat back but living in the New York, Long Island area all I can find is salted fat back. Does anyone in my area know where I can buy fat back for sausage. Thanks.

Substitute pork belly if you can find that. I have the same trouble here.

Back