What's your go to tailgate food?

isuhunter

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Now that #harvest16 is wrapping up I can start enjoying "saturdays for the boys" so, I'm curious what everyone's go to tailgating food/treats are? Smoked and nonsmoked

grilled wings (hot, bbq, hot-b-q, garlic parm), chicken salad & bacon stuffed tomato's, buffalo chicken dip, pulled pork or mini burger sliders on Hawaiian buns with slaw, shredded chicken taco dip, hot roast beef sammich with horseradish mayo. we love cooking for football :thumb:

I prefer simple non-rich items...anything that will minimize the potential for incidents that require sitting down in a porta-potty or stadium bathroom.

Dang...I need to tailgate with you guys!!!!
I want to combine some of it like the hot roast beef with horsey mayo, my peppers, and some of that buffalo chicken dip sounds incredible.

Last edited:
It's not smoked, obviously, but over the years my go-to tailgate food has become a massive breakfast. I'll take the CampChef with the griddle top and do hash browns, bacon, sausage, eggs, sometimes pancakes. Usually toast up some english muffins or bagels to do sandwiches.

It works so easily since I'm usually cooking for the whole group, and when tailgating for NFL or early college games a big breakfast really hits the spot. And it goes great with beer.

I also LOVE brining and smoking turkey legs ahead of time then wrapping in foil and warming up on the grill, saucing, and finishing over the charcoal.

The deep fryer is always a hit as well with fresh fries, onion rings, shrooms, etc. Just grilling burgers works, as does a big foil pan of mac & cheese re-heated indirect on the kettle.

I love tailgate food...

Chili is good since you just plug in the crockpot and keep it warm.

Really anything in a crockpot or that you can keep warm with sterno. Don't have to spend time cooking and people can eat when they want. I like to keep it as simple as possible when tailgating.

Dang...I need to tailgate with you guys!!!!

Are you coming down for a game? I haven't had to cook anything for a tailgate in a long time. I do bring hot cocoa and Rumpelmintz for the cold games.

Are you coming down for a game? I haven't had to cook anything for a tailgate in a long time. I do bring hot cocoa and Rumpelmintz for the cold games.

I'll be at the next game! In laws are coming to their first ISU game. I'm thinking some chili on the fish fryer.

Pulled Pork and Shrimp Cocktail if the tailgate time will be reasonably short.
Hamburgers and Conecuh Sausage if grilling.

Back