should you refrigerate beef tallow ?

Twisted T's Q

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
is it necessary to refrigerate your beef tallow that you get from say the trimmed off fat from a beef brisket ? I know most people don't refrigerate the fat that they get from bacon ( bacon grease ) I just wondeed if there is a difference ?

Yes you should refrigerate it, and only for as long as the beef itself would have been good in the fridge for. Bacon grease comes from meat that has been cured with nitrates and will last longer at room temperature, but still isn't ideal for long-term storage without refrigeration. I like to freeze my beef fat in small portions after it's rendered and use it for painting on steaks and burgers while I'm grilling them.

Thanks Mr. Christer I never knew why you keep bacon grease
under the sink in a coffee can until now :)

Yep I freeze mine also. You can pour it in ice cube trays and freeze then put those in smaller bags in the freezer. I do this with pork fat to make tortillas with also.

Have had a Ball jar of beef tallow in the fridge over 8 years. Don't use it that often but have never had an issue with it. No mold and smells fine.

No different than Lard and Lard is shelf stable. Tallow was used by pioneers for all sorts of stuff from cookin to greasin wagon wheels as as far as I know they didn't have referigeration

http://www.onestoppaleoshop.com/product-p/fat-pt-i.htm

Code:
DESCRIPTION: What is Tallow you ask? Tallow is simply beef fat that is melted off the animal. As Lard is to pigs, Tallow is to cows. Fatworks Pure Tallow is crafted from 100% grassfed, pasture raised cows then kettle-rendered for a clean consistent flavor. Add to that Fatworks’ exclusive meticulous filtering techniques and the result is “Pure Premium Tallow”. Rich in CLA and deliciousness, Fatworks is simply the best tallow out there! Pure Tallow can be used to fry… well anything! You can use it like you would butter, ghee, or coconut oil in your skillet or put it in your fryer and use it like any other frying oil. It’s really that easy. And Tallow is also very durable and has a high smoke point in the 400’s. THIS MEANS IT’S REUSABLE! Yes, strain the fat through a cheesecloth or strainer and use it again!

INGREDIENTS: 100% Grassfed Beef Tallow

PRODUCT DETAILS:[COLOR="Blue"] Keep in Pantry. Refrigeration is not necessary. [/COLOR]You can keep in the fridge but it will turn rock hard and then you will need to give it a hot water bath (or microwave it if you are into that sort of thing.) Once it's slightly melted it will be "spoonable" and ready for you to enjoy. Tallow is naturally shelf stable for years. It’s probably not a good idea to put Tallow down the drain.

Fatworks crafts the finest premium traditional fats in the world while crusading against fat-phobia everywhere. Fatworks. Their products are absolutely and unapologetically nutritional premium fat! No Artificial Ingredients. Only hormone and antibiotic free humanely raised AWA certified grassfed beef is used.

Last edited:
No different than Lard and Lard is shelf stable. Tallow was used by pioneers for all sorts of stuff from cookin to greasin wagon wheels as as far as I know they didn't have referigeration

http://www.onestoppaleoshop.com/product-p/fat-pt-i.htm

Code:
DESCRIPTION: What is Tallow you ask? Tallow is simply beef fat that is melted off the animal. As Lard is to pigs, Tallow is to cows. Fatworks Pure Tallow is crafted from 100% grassfed, pasture raised cows then kettle-rendered for a clean consistent flavor. Add to that Fatworks’ exclusive meticulous filtering techniques and the result is “Pure Premium Tallow”. Rich in CLA and deliciousness, Fatworks is simply the best tallow out there! Pure Tallow can be used to fry… well anything! You can use it like you would butter, ghee, or coconut oil in your skillet or put it in your fryer and use it like any other frying oil. It’s really that easy. And Tallow is also very durable and has a high smoke point in the 400’s. THIS MEANS IT’S REUSABLE! Yes, strain the fat through a cheesecloth or strainer and use it again!

INGREDIENTS: 100% Grassfed Beef Tallow

PRODUCT DETAILS:[COLOR=blue] Keep in Pantry. Refrigeration is not necessary. [/COLOR]You can keep in the fridge but it will turn rock hard and then you will need to give it a hot water bath (or microwave it if you are into that sort of thing.) Once it's slightly melted it will be "spoonable" and ready for you to enjoy. Tallow is naturally shelf stable for years. It’s probably not a good idea to put Tallow down the drain.

Fatworks crafts the finest premium traditional fats in the world while crusading against fat-phobia everywhere. Fatworks. Their products are absolutely and unapologetically nutritional premium fat! No Artificial Ingredients. Only hormone and antibiotic free humanely raised AWA certified grassfed beef is used.

thanks Blue great info there

Back