Killer wing sauce recipe for a comp?

Fatmike

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone willing to share a great wing sauce recipe. Something other than franks and butter. I am doing a competition with a bunch of city boy chefs in the area and need to hold my ground.. thanks

My personal fave is to mix my BBQ sauce of choice about 50/50 with Sriracha sauce.

Take a med sized bottle of honey and a 1/4 cup of hot pepper flakes and 1" piece of a cinnamon stick and simmer over low heat for 30 min strain out the peppers & cinnamon stick once it cools thin it a little with Jack Daniels

Start with Defcon sauces (get the one that matches your target level of heat), then add in a little butter, some herbs (I like parsley and sage), and perhaps a bit of lemon pepper. A smoked, then flash fried wing spun in that sauce is heavenly.

You can find their sauces in some stores, otherwise order online. I use stuff from the "defense condition" line (#1 for me):

http://www.defconsauces.com/index.php/ct-menu-item-7

Just did this sat night, and it was fantastic...

Franks
Butter
Chile powder
Finely chopped chipotles in adobo
Crushed red pepper

Cooked in smoker with the wings.

Put on wings and back into smoker.

Put additional on when wings came out of smoker.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the great recipes! Gonna have a wing sauce trying Tuesday!

You want great wings?

A dry rub of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper, and cayenne coats 'em in a plastic bag while they await their turn to cook.

If you can - Smoke 'em over hickory at 300-325 for 45-60 min. Finish over the coals/gasser to crisp up the skins on the big pieces. If smoking isn't an option - a bit of grill work over the coals to bring 'em up to temp and get a little bit of char is in order.

Toss the wings in a mix of Texas Pete, worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and cumin.

You get some excellent flavor, some nice crispy skin, and skip the oil/fried chicken business.

My unabashed 2 cents on the subject.

Let us know what works for you and how the competition goes!

Kind regards,
SD

No matter what flavor you go with, if frying is allowed, I would smoke at 250° for 2 hours and then fry at 350° for 2 minutes.

50 / 50 Tiger Sauce (the commercial kind) and Franks w/ butter.:-D

Back