Kingsford Competiton, where have you been hiding all my life?

SuburbSlicker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So enough people raving about it on here finally convinced me to go out and buy a couple of bags of Kingsford Competition over the weekend. I had been using Kingsford Blue for years, usually buying a big load near Memorial Day and using it up during the year. I use lump in my COS, but briquettes in the WSM. I was a little hesitant at $10 a bag, but I wanted to try it (not all that easy to find, btw). I was doing a 12lb. brisky and I bought two bags.

Wow! Great stuff! I used a little more than I expected (about a bag and a third/half) for about 11 hours. Ambient weather was about 60-70 deg with moderate humidity. Fairly good breeze most of the day.

The thing was, once I dialed the smoker in at about 271 consistently, it just sat and sat and sat at that temp (it should be noted that I do have a Pitmaster IQ 110). But even with the temp control, I've never been able to dial a regular blue bag in like that.

And, as others have noted, the ash production is a lot less. It's just great stuff. Now I may try it in the COS to see how it acts in there. If I could only find a cheaper source.

Last edited:
There was a sale at Costco last month. I picked up like 6 double bag packages. Good stuff!

I LOVE K Comp as well... I started out buying the 11 lber for $9.98 as well, but have since started getting the twin 18 lb bags from Costco. If you have a Costco near you get it there for sure. They had a monthly sale last month where you could get 3 twin packs for about 15 bucks each. I got three.

+1 on costco double-bags. Just bought some over the weekend and I want to say it was around $18-19.

So enough people raving about it on here finally convinced me to go out and buy a couple of bags of Kingsford Competition over the weekend. I had been using Kingsford Blue for years, usually buying a big load near Memorial Day and using it up during the year. I use lump in my COS, but briquettes in the WSM. I was a little hesitant at $10 a bag, but I wanted to try it (not all that easy to find, btw). I was doing a 12lb. brisky and I bought two bags.

Wow! Great stuff! I used a little more than I expected (about a bag and a third/half) for about 11 hours. Ambient weather was about 60-70 deg with moderate humidity. Fairly good breeze most of the day.

The thing was, once I dialed the smoker in at about 271 consistently, it just sat and sat and sat at that temp (it should be noted that I do have a Pitmaster IQ 110). But even with the temp control, I've never been able to dial a regular blue bag in like that.

And, as others have noted, the ash production is a lot less. It's just great stuff. Now I may try it in the COS to see how it acts in there. If I could only find a cheaper source.

That's pretty good it works that much better, but I've got a non-WSM person question (kettles only).........

11# bags, so about 14~15lbs. of charcoal for the run?

Is that a pretty standard amount for a burn, or is there 1/2 of it left after that, or..........?

The size of the 22.5 WSM charcoal ring is probably about 18 inches which would give you around 56.5 square inches of area. The 22 inch Weber kettle is probably around the same size, maybe a little bit smaller. But for math purposes, we'll assume they hold roughly the same amount of charcoal.

I put about 8 pounds in the WSM, used a pound in the chimney and I saved a couple of pounds for later in the day. I ended up using those two pounds around 8:30 a.m. (Started fire at 3:45 a.m.) and went to church.

I had to put another 3 to 4 pounds (probably a little overkill) on around noon because temps were dropping pretty rapidly at that point. 225 at noon and 216 a few minutes later.

So I'm betting you could approximate about the same burn rate using a 22-inch kettle. I was using an ATC. If you're not, or if the weather was different, you may have different results. By adding the extra 3-4 lbs at noon, I probably bought another 5 or 6 hours of cook time even though I only needed about 3.5.

Have you tried Stubb's briquettes? I haven't compared them to K comp, but they run a little cheaper, 7.87 for 15 lbs at my local walmart.

I've only seen them twice. Just not stocked around here. I'd like to try them in the UDS. However, I did just get a 225 burn for 22 hours this weekend on Heb original charcoal. $5.58 a bag. (18#) 1 and a half bags. And,.. I kicked the temp. up to 350 after the ribs came off and did chicken,.. then shut it back down. I am truely in awe everytime the Ugly does this. LOL,. But I still want to try the comp. King for the sake of science ! : ) Grill on it too !

The size of the 22.5 WSM charcoal ring is probably about 18 inches which would give you around 56.5 square inches of area. The 22 inch Weber kettle is probably around the same size, maybe a little bit smaller. But for math purposes, we'll assume they hold roughly the same amount of charcoal.

I put about 8 pounds in the WSM, used a pound in the chimney and I saved a couple of pounds for later in the day. I ended up using those two pounds around 8:30 a.m. (Started fire at 3:45 a.m.) and went to church.

I had to put another 3 to 4 pounds (probably a little overkill) on around noon because temps were dropping pretty rapidly at that point. 225 at noon and 216 a few minutes later.

So I'm betting you could approximate about the same burn rate using a 22-inch kettle. I was using an ATC. If you're not, or if the weather was different, you may have different results. By adding the extra 3-4 lbs at noon, I probably bought another 5 or 6 hours of cook time even though I only needed about 3.5.

Thanks for the rundown.....never really thought to weigh the stuff or even count.......1# (K Blue is what was around) is 20 pieces......stacked upright fora snake goes right about 1/4 of the circumference of a 22" kettle...

With a few set up on top, along with wood chunks, maybe 80~85 max. for a 7/8 snake.....4-1/4# gets 11-1/2 hours on a good day (around 250~260).....9 hr. if it happens to be flyin' (300+).......

Back