the brisket from hell

HUCKS

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
had a local off this weekend.got brisket ready to go in smoker at 225 the temps on the meat starting rising just right got to 144 and stalled I have had stalls before but not 7 hours stayed at 144.used 4 diff thenmos to make sure started raising pit temp it got to 151 and stuck there the last 3 hours had the pit running 450 the meat peaked at 185 and tough what would cause this don't ever want it again I did wrap in butcher paper first at 150 and them at 160 wrapped in foil

Dang, that was hard to read.:caked:

Anyway, if I had to guess it would be that 225 can make for some slow cooking with a stubborn piece of meat, and the big add was I think you got to checking it and messing with it too much. The loss of heat adds to the cook even after you jacked the heat way up.. Check temp? add some time. Check again? add some time. Wrapping it in paper? add some time. Wrapping it in foil? add some time. It will drive you bananas!

First, I would check your pit thermometer. Second, I would check your four meat thermometers and see if any say 'Thermapen'. If not, I would throw them all away and get a Thermapen.

The 144 stall sounds correct - I cooked a 15lb RD Superior brisket this weekend at 225 on my WSM 18.5 (with water in the pan) and around 144 it started to stall after 8 hours. I just wrapped it in foil and let it finish up at around 200 were it was perfect tenderness and taste. I rarely hit 165 when cooking around 225-250 on briskets. Typically in the 140-150 range for stall.

Back