Smoker recommendation for a friend

DR

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I have an older gentleman at work that i got hooked on the smoking bug. I love seeing him come in on monday telling me about his cook that weekend. It all started off when i smoked meats for our christmas party. SInce then i have given him countless pointers and recipes.

He cooks on very small New Braunfels smoker and can't get a brisket and 2-3 racks of ribs on it at the same time. He also struggles keeping consistent temps.

SO i am trying to find him a good backyard smoker that is user friendly and will hold more than 1 brisket at a time. Not sure what his budget is but I'm guessing he would like to stay between $1000 and $2000 at the most. I suggested the Primo Xl but also though about having him look at the Humphrey's.

ANy help fellas?

DR

My first suggestion is always a WSM. Either a 18 or 22 depending on size requirements.

I recently got my FIL switched over from a char broiler offset and he wont stop talking about how much easier it is to cook on the WSM. Set and mostly forget it.

You can put 2 briskets on a 22 so that should be plenty

• Thanks
Reactions: DR
I'm not a fella, but I'll chime in. :-D
I like the flexibility of a cabinet smoker with several racks. I don't have a kamado, but my son does and sometimes has issues with getting even heat if he pretty fully loads it - the middle rack doesn't get as much smoke or heat by being a bit insulated. The cabinets seem to do a little better based on shape maybe?
I'm sure others who love kamados can provide their input.

I have a Large BGE and find it limiting. I'll keep it for small cooks, but I'm looking at an Old Country Pecos

• Thanks
The 22.5 WSM can do 2 briskets plus ribs at the same time, and keeping steady temps is a breeze. Plus it is relatively cheap.

I might be biased.

• Thanks
If he can go up to 2K Lone Star Grillz has a couple of nice traditional offsets and a vertical offset that would fit the bill. I'm sure there are other good builders in the area as well, living where ya'll live I'd try to find something close to home and save on shipping.

• Thanks
The 22.5 WSM can do 2 briskets plus ribs at the same time, and keeping steady temps is a breeze. Plus it is relatively cheap.

I might be biased.

Or do like I did, and buy two - 22" WSM's for bigger cooks. I cant imagine anything other than a pellet smoker being any easier to operate.

I find myself obligated to throw the Pit Barrel Cooker into the fray as well. From what I have read on these forums, it's even easier to maintain temps than the WSM, less vents to mess with for an even temp, no water pan, and can hold 8 slabs of ribs when hanging...and to clean it you dump out the ashes...that's it.

If he doesn't want to spend a lot at first I say PBC is the way to go. Have more dollars, take a look at 270 Smokers. They have a good assortment in that price range.

http://www.270smokers.com

WSM or PBC. If his felling spendy then what Kevin said. ^^^

Just noticed he's in Texas, is there a need for an insulated cabinet.

Not a need but they are nice. I know i have a homemade offset and a Jambo and its easier to keep temps consistent with the insulated firebox on the Jambo.

Thanks for all the help so far, cooks!!! ;)

Shirley 30x70 trailer model with roof, Cajun fryer, sink with hot water pump would do the trick.

Thinking the same thing, everyone needs a friend with a Shirley, like having a b-i-l with a boat. ;-)

Brother DR, at that price range, I have to throw in the Yoder YS 640 pellet cooker. Can easily be had for less than $2K used and the thing cooks like a dream. I had an offset with an insulated firebox and I thought that was easy to run :razz:

Also, for a lot less money, I'm with the fellas recommending WSM's and I would also say give Traeger, GMG, or RecTec a shot as pellet options too.

• Thanks
Give a look at the Bell Fab. Craig Bell in Owasso OK makes a great one off smoker to your personal specifications and needs. His material and fabrication are first quality and his pricing is very reasonable. I've had my 24x48" smoker for 1-1/2 years and I love it. Mine, with a number of whistles and bells, including freight was at the lower end of your friends budget.

Contact Craig at: bellfab@sbcglobal.net

• Thanks
I have the Primo XL, and can't say enough good about it. The one problem that I'm personally having is that it's almost too easy. After the fire evens out, I open it once to put the food in and once to take it out. I've started thinking a stick burner would be a good addition so I can play a bit more.

• Thanks
Back