Figures.!.! ( Smoker Pron )

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I bought the vertical off CL a month ago for $400 and now Academy and Old Country have a new model for $699 that I like better.!.!

Last edited:
Damn you Smitty! Why you torture me? We don't have Academy around where I live. That is an awesome looking pit. You better start saving.

Smitty is just too hard to please! :biggrin1: Oh we all know there's a next one and a next one and......another next one.

Still yes it looks like a good cooker. lol

Now you have to sell the CL cooker....clean it up and get more out of it than you paid hopefully

That's nice! I can't find anything about it online. How thick is the steel?

1/8" I think

How heavy duty does it feel ? I've touched their other model with the firebox on the side and was pretty think and not sturdy.....not at all like $1K model they sell which is solid, either 3/16" or 1/4". The Brazos I think. Great value.

I've owned a couple cheap verticals in the past and if I ever added another cooker I would look at a good solid vertical for the rare times I'd like to set it and forget it for a bit or for some flexibility.

I'm a stick burner at heart and fire management on my Horizon is pretty easy but nice to change it up a bit. Not even sure if you could burn splits in this firebox but that's for posting ! I'll keep my eye out for it in my area.

Nice cooker.
Sounds like you have a nice little collection of pits

I was in academy yesterday and didn't see this model. Looks like your timing is off.:shocked:

Ain't none of the Old Country smokers flimsy - sloppy yes but not flimsy. This new one is pretty stout but not 3/16" or 1/4".

This smoker is intended to be a stick burner but if you built a charcoal basket it could go either way - it's Bi....... :wink:

And the hunt for "the one" continues... I feel your pain, Smitty. I'm sort of taken by the Boathouse smokers you brought up in a previous thread. Looked at lots of pics (thank you internet)- there's a lot to like about them and a few design characteristics I don't care for. I have laid hands on 6 2x4 sheets of 3/16" steel. I've got a clean sheet of paper- gonna see if I can improve on their design. Then I go into scrounge mode- I'm a LONG way from rich.

Back