Pork Loin on the Weber

Camadile

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I'm going to use my Weber 22.5 today to indirectly cook a 6 pound pork loin for my Mom's 91st birthday! I'm making a glaze right now with fresh pears, maple syrup, honey, garlic and rum.

My question is: what should the internal temperature be when I take it off? I'm looking for a nice juicy, slice-able roast.

Thanks,

Cam

I go for 140 deg, the temp will rise about 5 deg while resting.

They changed the recommendations for pork awhile back, the new minimum is 145 degrees. No need to cook any higher than 140, then let it rest and rise the rest of the way. Are you planning on applying the glaze during the cook so it caramelizes? If so then you'll have to keep that in mind so you can apply it early enough.

They changed the recommendations for pork awhile back, the new minimum is 145 degrees. No need to cook any higher than 140, then let it rest and rise the rest of the way. Are you planning on applying the glaze during the cook so it caramelizes? If so then you'll have to keep that in mind so you can apply it early enough.

Yes. I'm going to sear it hard over the coals first and then start brushing it with the glaze every 10 - 15 minutes.

Cam

The pork lion turned out amazing! Thanks guys! It cooked a lot faster than I thought it would because I used high indirect heat. With the party going on, I ended up taking it off at 145 and it rested to 150. Still awesome and the glaze was killer!

Cam

Any chance you could post the recipe for the glaze? TIA

The idea for it just popped into my head and I decided to go for it even though there were going to be nine people for dinner.

I started with two ripe red pears, peeled and cubed. Then into a pot, cover with rum and simmered it covered for about 20 minutes. I used white rum but I wish I had dark rum! Once the fruit was really soft, I whisked the lot which left it sort of chunky which is what I was going for. If you want a smoother glaze, a hand blender or mixer should do the trick.

Then I put it back on the heat and added about 1/3 cup of Maple syrup and about a four second squeeze on the honey bottle. Then some cayenne pepper (you decide how much!) salt and ground pepper.

Let simmer uncovered until it's time to take it out to the BBQ. At that point I added about five, large, finely chopped garlic cloves and simmered for just another minute or two.

I basted the pork roast several times during the cook. I'm more of a "forward sear" guy - get a nice sear crust on the meat using the fat for flames first and then go indirect for the rest of the cook with plenty of bastings with whatever sauce/glaze that I'm using.

I didn't get to take a picture of the final product last night because everyone was hovering behind me trying to get at it! So here is a picture of the leftovers that is a mini version of the platter from last night. As you can see, I used the remaining glaze over the top of all the slices. Everyone went nuts!

Attachments

• Pork loin..JPG
    Pork loin..JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 40
Nice looking cook. I'll bet that made your mom happy. Agree with the others, cook to 145, rest. Pork loin is one you don't want to over cook. Looks like you did great. Thanks for posting your pics.

Back