Time To Shop For A Smoker

Do you even read threads before you post on them ? :confused:

Absolutley I read them. My point was simple. Shirley Fab. builds a small unit that utilizes 3/8 thick metal for the cooking chamber walls and 1/2 inch material for the fire box. Both the cooking chamber and the fire box are heavily insulated as well. The amount of fuel consumed is much closer to that of a vertical cabinet cooker than that of the traditional offset. With the very heavy wall thickness and insulation, cold and wind are not much of a concern with this unit. Sorry if I offended anyone, was just trying to be helpful.

hmm 1500 hundred bucks, wind (edmond fitsgerald type wind) rain 2 feet of snow and 12 deg, all that and i have never EVER had a problem with my WSM 221/2 and party q, wsm 400$, party q 130, 6 big butts feed 60,

Not knocking the Humphrey Battle Box, but if the OP wants to keep it below $1500, he'd need to downsize or downgrade. Add the cost of a cart and a few accessories (a good electronic thermometer, preferably with remote, any specialty shelves desired, etc.) and toss in shipping most of the way across the country, and it's just not going to come in anywhere near $1500.

I bought a Old Country Peco Smoker...It is very well built and heavy...seasoned it the other day and it was easier to control the heat that i thought it would be :thumb:

I have two old Oklahoma Joe smokers and really like them. You could look at eBay for a used one.

For the money I recommend a Rec Tec pellet grill, for $1200 you get the smoker, 40 lbs pellets, a cover and free shipping. You can add an extra 200 lbs of pellets for $99 and be stocked for the winter. They are also getting ready to sell an insulated blanket to fit. No babysitting to do. You'd still have some cash to build a UDS for when you want to burn some wood. I am very happy with the RecTec it does a great job. My Lang is excellent but I don't always have time to babysit it.

I should mention that I have a Traeger, a Santa Maria and a Weber Kettle OTG.
I guess the things I should consider are:
I think I'd be happier with a smoker that doesn't force me to stay up all night.
The wind around here can be a problem.
Wood for a stick burner can get spendy here
I usually smoke for anywhere from 2 to 20 people.

I was going to say +1 on stumps, but they are out of your price range. The baby isn't by much,.. but with shipping...

I know there is always someone that says build a uds. I second that too,.. however if building is not something your up for then that's out.

I would highly recomend watching your local craig's list closely. Maybe a cabinet smoker for a good price will pop up locally.

Good luck and happy hunting !

I agree. Check with Chad about this before you get too excited...I got it from their facebook page. I doubt it would include shipping on a smoker.:loco:

"We're having a frightening sale! Save 10.00 on any Charcoal Snake Maze. Use coupon code frightmaze. Don't forget free shipping on orders over $75.00 and receive a free gift with every order."

This is from their website...

"November's Monthly Special is Free Shipping on orders over $75.00 use coupon code "FreeShip75""

No, cookers are not included in the free shipping category. The shipping is reasonable on a Battlebox and I bet you could get a deal that would keep it close to or under $1500 if you talk to the right person.

Well I need to confess. I have a Stainless UDS that's about 75% of the way finished. I just got lazy. It would cost almost nothing to finish it. I still want a new smoker though. LOL

I've been thinking about getting a battlebox. Just need to convince the wife. I have a 18.5 WSM but I want something that better capacity and heat retention.

Well I need to confess. I have a Stainless UDS that's about 75% of the way finished. I just got lazy. It would cost almost nothing to finish it. I still want a new smoker though. LOL

If that's the case then I'm sticking to my guns. Get the egg or primo. I have a backwoods now also and I still prefer my egg. Water pans suck IMO, they may help it cook but are a pain in my arse to clean up.

I should mention that I have a Traeger, a Santa Maria and a Weber Kettle OTG.
I guess the things I should consider are:
I think I'd be happier with a smoker that doesn't force me to stay up all night.
The wind around here can be a problem.
Wood for a stick burner can get spendy here
I usually smoke for anywhere from 2 to 20 people.

In your situation, I'd look for an insulated cabinet for sure. It'll shrug off the wind and the nasty weather. You don't want to tend a stick burner all day or all night.

If that's the case then I'm sticking to my guns. Get the egg or primo. I have a backwoods now also and I still prefer my egg. Water pans suck IMO, they may help it cook but are a pain in my arse to clean up.

The Humphreys slide out standard size water pan is syainless steel. All you have to do to clean it is pull it out, Dino the water, then stick it in your dish washer! :)

Back