3 Drum Timeline

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can anyone cooking on three drums give me an idea of your timeline, temps and where you put each meat? We have a practice cook coming up and I have a couple of timelines worked out on paper (well, OK, Excel :-D) but some real life experience would be great!

Thanks!

Im new to competing so this might change/might not be right, but here is what I do.

-Brisket (single can)(300-350)
on at 7:00 A.M

-Pork (300-325)
3 Butts, MM towards each other

-Chicken(below pork, if pork is still on, and it always is so far)(275-300)
on at 10:30A.M

-Ribs- Single Can
On at 9:00 A.M(300, I lower the temp to 250-275 when I wrap the ribs)

I've heard of some people getting off flavors from putting pork on their chicken drum, I haven't ran into that. I've tried running pork/chicken under brisket and I didn't like it as much, I'm sure It would work fine for most people too.

Im new to competing so this might change/might not be right, but here is what I do.

-Brisket (single can)(300-350)

-Pork (300-325)
3 Butts, MM towards each other

-Chicken(below pork, if pork is still on, and it always is so far)(275-300)
on at 10:30A.M

-Ribs- Single Can
On at 9:00 A.M(300, I lower the temp to 250-275 when I wrap the ribs)

I've heard of some people getting off flavors from putting pork on their chicken drum, I haven't ran into that. I've tried running pork/chicken under brisket and I didn't like it as much, I'm sure It would work fine for most people too.

U are running some serious temps there. Running everything over 300 would make competition cooks much quicker. :)

rb

I light pork and brisket pits at 5:15, meats on at 6. I take pork off, clean the basket, and start a new fire for chicken.

I light pork and brisket pits at 5:15, meats on at 6. I take pork off, clean the basket, and start a new fire for chicken.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I hate getting up that early :-D

What time is your pork usually done, and what cook temp?

I used three drums last season and put Pork on at 6 @300, brisket on at 7 @300 ribs on at 8 @300 and chicken on at 10 @ 275. By the time chicken went on everything was wrapped so I just consolidated using two racks or stacking to make room for the chicken in a drum.

Thanks gang! It looks like I am on the right track. We'll see how the practice cook goes!

For personal edification...

Do y'all reckon that these timelines so quick due to the extra radiant heat that drum cooking provides over other cookers?

U are running some serious temps there. Running everything over 300 would make competition cooks much quicker. :)

rb

On the drums temp doesn't really matter much unless it gets way too hot, and then it can char. I just set it at 300 and let it rip, wrap to color and pull when its tender, or try to at least:becky:.

I'm starting big meats at 5:30 on mine. Brisket is done by 10 then I put chicken on that drum.

I use Hunsaker's as well and use 3.
I start 2 of them at 5:30. Put big meats on at 6:15.
Normally big meats are off by 10:30
Start rib smoker at 9:00
Put ribs on at 10:00
Put chicken on big meat smoker at 10:45.
Sometimes I have to move a pork butt to the brisket smoker if it is not quite done by 10:30.

I use Hunsaker's as well and use 3.
I start 2 of them at 5:30. Put big meats on at 6:15.
Normally big meats are off by 10:30
Start rib smoker at 9:00
Put ribs on at 10:00
Put chicken on big meat smoker at 10:45.
Sometimes I have to move a pork butt to the brisket smoker if it is not quite done by 10:30.

Thanks!

If you have to move a butt to the brisket drum are you using two grates? I separate the flat and point so there isn't a lot of room in that drum.

Thanks!

If you have to move a butt to the brisket drum are you using two grates? I separate the flat and point so there isn't a lot of room in that drum.

A lot of people end up cooking pork on the grate below the brisket. It acts as a bit of a shield for the brisket, and some people don't want to cook anything else in their chicken drum, as that can impart some unwanted flavors. We've had success with cooking the chicken on our pork drum, so either way can work.

That being said, I just got 5 new drums, so both of my trailers will have 4 drums from now on. So much less to worry about while competing.

A lot of people end up cooking pork on the grate below the brisket. It acts as a bit of a shield for the brisket, and some people don't want to cook anything else in their chicken drum, as that can impart some unwanted flavors. We've had success with cooking the chicken on our pork drum, so either way can work.

That being said, I just got 5 new drums, so both of my trailers will have 4 drums from now on. So much less to worry about while competing.

Nice! I got "the look" for buying 3 :becky:

We've cooked everything on one smoker for years, so I'm really not worried about flavors mingling. My concern with two grates is access. If the pork is under the brisket, for example, whenever I need to check to pork I have to take the brisket out. I'd prefer not to do that.

If I were cooking KCBS, I'd be using 3 drums, but PNWBA is how we are rolling and we only need 2 Hunsakers. Can't help you timeline wise since the turnins are bassackwards and on the hour.

Thanks!

I separate as well, but normally the point is off pretty quickly. So I have room for one butt. I've never had a problem with room. I have only had to run one grate on each one, but I keep the extras handy just in case.

Back