Cured & Smoked Beef Snack Sticks ~ Skinnies Not Fatties

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
I revisited a Morton Salt recipe (from their website & The Home Curing Guide) over the weekend that was titled "Pepperoni", I'm guessing because of the seasonings or maybe a combination of the color and the seasonings. Morton's recipe called for baking, and I smoked mine. I used 1.5 pounds of beef and adjusted the recipe up from a 1 pound recipe and slightly tickled the amounts after test frying a small pattie. The original called for anise, which I did not have. I guess pepperoni is not a bad name for it... but pepperoni is dry cured for quite some time, and is a little fattier because of a small amount of pork. So, "beef stick" seems to fit better. Because of their smaller diameter, "beef snack stick" really is a good fit. Regardless, the recipe was inspired from Morton's recipe, and it is a keeper.

1.5 ground beef
2-1/4 teaspoons Morton's Tender Quick
1 teaspoon liquid smoke
1-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
3/4 teaspoon fennel - crushed
3/4 teaspoon Korean chili pepper (similar to crushed red peppers)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika
2 Tablespoons iced water (use enough until texture is slightly sticky)
Coarse black pepper for seasoning after curing

Mix all of the ingredients, then incorporate them into the meat adding the iced water last. Form into 1/2 pound logs ("skinnies"), wrap in clear wrap using a twist-o-band on one end. Hold the other end and spin the link to tighten the link, then tie off with a second twist-o-band.

Rest in the fridge around 18 hours, then unwrap, apply some additional black pepper, and give them a light spray of olive oil. Smoke at 250° until the internal is 160°, wrap in foil so the temp rises to 165°. (I'm thinking of trying a batch with more TQ so I can pull them at a lower internal - 155° like I do smoked sausage)

This shot is the initial wrapping and tying of the plastic, the next one is all three links ready for the refrigerated rest.

J7BU7sd.jpg

y9g3qZy.jpg

Here they are peppered & oiled, ready to go on the smoker

EKuZCMa.jpg

On the smoker at an internal of 145° or so... smelling good.

i02lWMu.jpg

A finished link rested and ready for sampling. The outer edge has sort of a glazed look which almost looks like casing. Once cooled they sliced up even nicer.

TCJiRwS.jpg

I'll have one of those please!:hungry:

It's been a while since I made that recipe, but I definitely remember thinking it was worth trying again. It was not pepperoni, but still good. It wasn't normal beef stick flavored either, probably from the anise. I guess that's why I never made it again, because I'm always thinking of something specific, and not different like that.

Good stuff though, in my opinion.

I'm actually glad I omitted the anise, I figured the fennel would be fine for me. The extra black pepper and the Korean red pepper gave it a nice lingering heat. And although I'm not a fan of beef sausage I liked this stuff. Maybe a hair more mustard seeds, but I'm down to the fine tuning now.

Well that looks worth doing! Thanks for putting that up.

I have to agree that fennel and anise together would be overkill. They look delicious, BTW.

Back