New to Smoking

jmy1986

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Good Day all,

I am kind of brand new to smoking. I have used wood chips on my grill to try to infuse some flavor. I was recently gifted a brinkmann gourmet smoker and am looking for my first cut of meat to use in it. I used lump charcoal on my grill so that is what I will be using in my charcoal smoker. Thank you all for your help in advance.

Ok so I just got a 7lb picnic pork shoulder. Can anyone provide any helpful tips

Pork picnics or butts are really forgiving. I'd say don't trim at all and just rub with anything you like. Then smoke anywhere from 250-300 till it's hits 195-200 internal. At that temp it should hopefully take 7-10hrs. Then let it rest wrapped in foil for an hour or so and pull.

Good luck and have fun and drink beer or whatever :-D.

Does it have the skin on it? If it does, I would remove it, put on your rub and cook as per fnbish's recommendation. Good luck and keep us posted :thumb:

To tell when it is done, if it has a bone, wiggle the bone and when it pulls free easily the meat is done. Start checking after about 7 hours and then every hour until it is done. You can also probe the meat with a thermometer or skewer, and it should go through with very little effort. Pork butt is very easy and it won't matter if it has a little more or less cook time.

The rest time is really important so as it says above, foil and rest for at least an hour after it is cooked.

I would also try doing a whole chicken. They take 3-4 hours typically and are great smoked, and are pretty hard to mess up.

This forum is great if you have questions.

Thank you all for your insight and tip so far just put it on about 5 mins ago. I had read that picnics were forgiving, which is why I was hoping it would be something nice to start on. I put a rub on it ad have the fat side up. I would like to upload picks when it is done but a I am unsure on how to do so. Also I am hoping to maybe take this to a party tomorrow if it turns out ok

Final Product

Thank you all for your help Here is the final product.

Attachments

• WIN_20140914_090418.jpg
    WIN_20140914_090418.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 88
  • WIN_20140914_090424.jpg
    WIN_20140914_090424.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 88
  • WIN_20140914_090431.jpg
    WIN_20140914_090431.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 88
I tasted a small piece and it was tasty. I didn't finish up till about 1:30 am. To I was a bit tired last night. I am taking it with me to a party today.

Do I have to make pulled pork out of it or is there something else I can do with it?

That came out good looking! If it is tender enough to pull then that's what you will do. If not then slice it.

So brought it to the party and it was a hit. It had great flavor. I can't wait till next weekend for something else.

And so it starts. I am sorry to tell you but you now have an addiction. Great job Btw that pork looks awesome

Last edited:
Yes he is correct. This is an addiction. At least it's an addiction that my family and friends don't mind me having!!

Back