buffalo fish

jgarcia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I saw this the other day at the store and was wondering if anyone ever tried this. If so any tips on preperation.

Most people consider them trash/rough fish, but I have eaten it smoked several times and thought it tasted just fine. It had a pretty spicy dry rub sprinkled on it and the meat was white. I think most folks think of them like a carp. I have also eated smoked carp and it tasted just fine as well. I didnt cook either of them, just was lucky enough to be somewhere they were a few times. I have shot them bowfishing many times, and they can get really good size.

My grandfather told me that there are a deliciatly in some parts of the country. Biggest thing is when you clean them to remove the mud vein before cooking or smoking.
I did come across a video on U tube on how to smoke them.

Buffalo are sold locally down here and the ribs are the most desired, cleaned good, fried with corn meal and old bay, really good.

Buffalo ribs are preferred.You can filet them but you need to try and remove the multiple
feathery like pin bones and then be careful to look for them after cooking.

I was going to make fish tacos with tilapia tonight so I will probably buy some of the buffalo fish also just to try it out.

Thanks for all the replies.

I was going to make fish tacos with tilapia tonight so I will probably buy some of the buffalo fish also just to try it out.

Thanks for all the replies.

seriously look out for the pin bones.

Ya tiny Getcha Bones. We buy/catch them for Big Blue Catfish bait. Chunk them up in 2-3" Pieces.

Few years ago I caught a buffalo and a catfish same day out of the Pedernales river in CenTex. Cooked them both up, and side by side I actually preferred the buffalo. It was a noticeably firmer fish.

We consider them a trash fish too but lot's of folks like them. Fried is the only way I've had them.

Place the fish whole on a thin cedar plank. Grill over medium heat for 30-45 minutes. Remove from grill. Throw fish over the fence and eat the board. :-D

Place the fish whole on a thin cedar plank. Grill over medium heat for 30-45 minutes. Remove from grill. Throw fish over the fence and eat the board. :-D

That sounds alot like my possum recipe. :becky:

we used to catch carp and buffalo as kids so we could take them to the snake farm down the road. They would let us watch as they thru them in the alligator pin.

These pin bones, are they like the pin bones on an expensive salmon fillet that you pull out with a pair of needle nose pliers?

We eat it all the time here. You'll find it often fried and served at Lenten fish frys. If it's filleted and fried it's damn good.

Edit: Just saw you're from STL too. You'll find that fish often at K of C fish frys here and in metro east and Central IL.

Ee would scale them but leave the skin and score the meat with a knife bread and fry upt, those small bones will cook and get soft kinda like canned salmon and can just pick up and eat. May be a stray hard bone here and there but nothing like if you didn't score the meat. Like said above that dark red needs trimmed up.

Back