UDS help.

Gobluefan54

Found some matches.
Reaction score
In the middle of making my first uds. I've hit a small snag. I read in a thread that a 3/4 in black pipe nipple would thread in a 1in drilled hole. Well, either I got a little aggressive with the step bit, my first time using it, or there is some other problem but the hole is just a hair to big. Without welding, is there a way to make the pipe nipples fit in the holes a little more snug? The way they are I can just pull them out as opposed to taking off caps. Any help would be appreciated.

Use nuts on the outside and inside. It will sandwich it in there.

Specifically, you are looking for electrical conduit nuts. They work fantastic. I put them on every pipe nipple that I put on my drums, regardless of how snug they are when threaded in. It looks more finished, to me, and adds a little extra security. I've made the holes too large before, though, and they held the pipe nipple in just fine.

Does the size transfer correctly. Example... 1 in electrical conduit nuts for a 1 in black pipe nipple? Also thanks for the info.

The conduit rings work well, you can snip them if you need them to screw down a little tighter for some reason. Easier than trying to thread the pipe nipple into a tight spot. You can always go bigger on the pipe nipples if your hole is too big. I found 3- 3/4" isn't enough for me in all circumstances.

I have three 3/4 pipe nipple holes and a 1 in ball valve on a 1 in hole for "fine tuning". It's a 30 gal drum. I think that should be enough. What do you mean snip? Cut the ring itself or trim it down?

You can cut it if needed. I needed a washer on some of the UDS I built. Due to the taper of the pipe nipple I wasn't able to get the conduit ring snug and cutting it allowed it to spread and be screwed tighter to the drum.

Right now I have 2-3/4" intakes and 1 - 3/4" ball valve. Mine will run 250-275° all day but I can't get to high temps easily.

if it is that loose, I suggest some red rtv as well to help seal it up.

When I built my BPS drum I got a little carried away on a couple bolt holes. Red RTV to the rescue. Every single one got sealed up.

Your pipe needs to fit snugly in to the hole but not cross threaded ( sounds Painful don't it:twitch:) there is a cure for a hole that has been bored out so large your pipe will no longer fit into snugly. Go see Ace Homer in the Lowe part of town get a bigger pipe to fit the enlarged hole. Girth Size really does matter ya know.

Yup! go bigger then ya need no RTV! The extra bit of air helps a bunch when you wanna go hot for pizza or something. My drum uses 2 3/4" nipples and a ball valve and will only hit maybe 450 on a hot day.

My drum uses 2 3/4" nipples and a ball valve and will only hit maybe 450 on a hot day.
Same here, but this is my smoker, 225 - 300 is my range,
I have Weber kettles to get me to a hotter place..

Agree that you can go with a bigger closed nipple or you can use conduit nuts. I also added Gylon washers inside the threaded conduit nuts to help the seal. Gylon is a flexible food grade high temp washer material

Same here, but this is my smoker, 225 - 300 is my range,
I have Weber kettles to get me to a hotter place..

Mine is the same setup, same type of range as your UDS. Great for long smokes. Not great for high heat.

Thanks for all the input. You guys are allllllright. I'm gonna try the conduit nuts hopefully that does the trick. My target temp is gonna be 225. Do not worried about high heat.

Just an aside.. I do use it as an outside over on occasion which is why I wanted the ability to go hot. It's a great way to go when you don't want to heat the house in the summer.

Thanks for all the input. You guys are allllllright. I'm gonna try the conduit nuts hopefully that does the trick. My target temp is gonna be 225. Do not worried about high heat.

If you have air leaks you might have trouble staying at 225. I would do what Bludawg mentioned get a bigger nipple. I sealed my nipples with JB weld.
So far it has been working ok.
My UDS likes to hang around 250.
Get that UDS together and smoke something. We like pictures :mrgreen:

Back