Baked Potato

Team DD

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!! Happy Thanksgiving!

I have a catering event coming up in a few weeks and I want to smoke some baked potatoes. I have never tried them so was hoping to get some knowledge from the Brethren. I have heard of Twice Smoked Baked Potatoes, but do not know anything else about them. Anybody out there have an idea?

Thanks,
Doug

Baked potatoes in the smoker are essentially just the same as oven baked since most are wrapped in foil. I've done them non foiled but they don't pick up any real smoke....though the outside will be crispier.

I love twice baked but don't do them often because they are a PITA a little. You bake them until they are basically cooked until tender, scoop out the inside and mixing with sour cream, bacon, butter, cheese, chives etc... and then filing the taters back in with the mixture and the heating and browning the cheesy insides.

Personally I'd just clean, poke a few holes, wrap with foil and cook til tender and then let people just butter, S&P....way simpler. Sometimes i season the outside with salt prior to cooking.

Thanks for the info... So for the twice baked potatoes, they are never foiled?

Thanks for the info... So for the twice baked potatoes, they are never foiled?
For twice baked the foil would only be on for the first stage of cooking (not after the filling gets put back in)

Not doing foil will give a crispier outside, but not much room for error because it can become too thick/dry of an outside if you're not careful.

I poke a few holes with fork around potato then rub down with light olive oil then rub seasoning on them just as I would any cut of meat. Foil them up and then smoke away.

My actual favorite rub for the potatoes is Red Robin seasoning + granulated garlic + paprika + crushed black pepper...

Twice baked are always a hit, however, I just usually make a casserole and avoid the hassle of the scoop and refill.....

Back