Smithfield Pork Questions

AlanK

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I would like to try Smithfield pork products for my next competition. Does anyone know the difference between the Extra Tender and Prime product lines? Also, does anybody know where I can purchase these products online?
Thanks,
Alan

Local grocer has Smithfield Prime, and Sam's has Prime Reserve. I dunno what the difference is between the two except Sam's is cheaper, but I'm a big fan of the pork I get from Sams.

Local grocer has Smithfield Prime, and Sam's has Prime Reserve. I dunno what the difference is between the two except Sam's is cheaper, but I'm a big fan of the pork I get from Sams.

Same here....never been disappointed with SAMs offerings.

Never tried/seen the Prime. I have used the Extra Tender products with great results. When cooking a natural product I will apply my rub and wrap in plastic the night before, when cooking the Extra Tender products I use lower salt rubs and apply just before putting on the cooker. I find the Extra Tender products cook a little faster than the natural products.

Most teams around here use the ET's for comps but I really like the non enhanced Prime Reserves at Sam's. If you get the ET's from Walmart I would advise getting the ones with the furthest out date. I think that the the longer they stay in the solution the more likely you are to have a rack come out "hammy." I am not an expert but I have cooked probably 80 racks of ET's since March and the ones that come out "hammy" are always ones I bought when they were all that was left and near the use by date. Most of the time they have a fresh case in the back and if you ask nice they will bring it out for you, at least the WM's I go to will.

Never tried/seen the Prime. I have used the Extra Tender products with great results. When cooking a natural product I will apply my rub and wrap in plastic the night before, when cooking the Extra Tender products I use lower salt rubs and apply just before putting on the cooker. I find the Extra Tender products cook a little faster than the natural products.

They're noticeably more marbled than the Swift butts I can get at Costco. I'll have to dig up some pics but the money muscle always looks like wagyu beef level of marbling.

My local Sam's has the prime reserve pbutts and ribs as well. But they went from twin packs of pbutts to single packs and the price went up almost .40/lb.

Also, as stated above the marbling is pretty impressive for the money. No complaints with the ribs or the pbutts other than single packs and higher price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Anybody else kind of hate the taste of Extra Tender?

They're noticeably more marbled than the Swift butts I can get at Costco. I'll have to dig up some pics but the money muscle always looks like wagyu beef level of marbling.

Agree, I just did 2 Swift butts on Saturday and they were not nearly as marbled as the Smithfields I get. Also noticed this from past Swift and Smithfield cooks.

Anybody else kind of hate the taste of Extra Tender?

When I cook them side by side the Extra Tenders are always preferred. I find that using a lower salt rub and applying it just before going on the cooker is necessary to avoid the "hammy" flavor that ET's can take on. Personally I like the ET's and naturals I just adjust the timing of my rub and cook the naturals a little longer.

My local Sam's has the prime reserve pbutts and ribs as well. But they went from twin packs of pbutts to single packs and the price went up almost .40/lb.

Also, as stated above the marbling is pretty impressive for the money. No complaints with the ribs or the pbutts other than single packs and higher price.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Same happened at mine. I was happy though because a lot of times on double packs you could only see one MM!

Glad I wasn't the only one to see this at Sam's. I can only get there after they close the butcher shop so I couldn't ask. Always have been happy with the product. Smoked ~ 20 butts in the last 3 months and they always turn out great. Excellent marbling for a pork product.

Back