Yoder YS640 or add a gasser?

qposner

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm new here, but not brand new to smoking. I've been lurking for years and learning from all of you and thought it was time to join. I also have a question. I have had a Traeger Lil Tex Elite for three years now and it has put in a lot of work and still runs well. However, I am interested in direct grilling as well. Question then is do I upgrade to a Yoder YS640 or just add a gasser. Cost isn't really a concern, I am just wondering if I can get a good direct flame in the Yoder. Obviously the Traeger doesn't get it done.

So, add a Weber gasser to the Traeger or sell the Traeger and pick up a Yoder? And advice, tips, experiences are all greatly appreciated!

Quinn

I vote yoder. Pretty flexible unit that would replace your lil tex and give some direct grill options.

Thanks, T. Got your PM as well. Sounds like we are darn near next door to each other. I will check out Sherwood. Saw the website already. Thanks!

Most definitely go Yoder, I went to a BBQ relief fund raiser / bbq class organized by Pappy Q and instructed by Moonswiners and Warren Co Pork Choppers. A yoder was on display And dude the Yoder is WAY better built than I imagined. They are solid and I will OWN one on my back deck soon!

Last edited:
It's hard to beat a Yoder cranked up with grill grates. They are perfect for guys that love the ease of a gasser but want the flavor of wood.. :thumb:

Yoder all the way ! I purchased mine just a few months ago and love it. I added the grill gates and there are great for grilling. The smoker is easy to use and does a great job.

If you are wanting the ability to direct grill and smoke with one unit go with the Yoder. I have been using a Traeger and gas grill for years. Built a drum about 4 years ago and do like the better taste I get from it. Now I'm building a 300 gallon offset stick burner. If I wasn't into fabrication and welding I would jump on a Yoder. A coworker has one and he loves it. He says you can't go wrong. I like the enjoyment of fabbing out the design. May weld up a nice patio version down the road too. Good luck with your new Yoder, because after this thread you will most likely be buying one!!

That's sort of like asking if you want to drive to work in a Mercedes or take your niece's mountain bike. There's nothing wrong with a Weber at all. I've got one myself, but ... a Yoder.

Love the responses! Mainly because they are adding to justification to drop the extra $$! Of course, I'm divorced so my money is my money again and I don't need permission.:tongue:

Are there any options for the front and side shelves? $295 for that option seems pretty expensive.

Are there any options for the front and side shelves? $295 for that option seems pretty expensive.

They come with chrome wire shelves, which I think should be fine for most uses. The stainless look nice, but most bbq tools are big enough they won't fall through the wire shelves.

They come with chrome wire shelves, which I think should be fine for most uses. The stainless look nice, but most bbq tools are big enough they won't fall through the wire shelves.

OK. So they have shelves. Thanks. Wasnt sure about that. Stainless is just an upgrade.

Nice to meet someone else whose money (well, what she left me :x) is once again his own!

I have a Traeger 125. Dead auger motor. Sitting out in the rain, its only purpose being a place to store my also-unused Smokenator and some extra Grill Grates.

I had a Weber Genesis E-330 gasser. It was new, and it worked, so I let the ex take it.

Bwa ha ha ha.

Next thing I did was buy a YS-640.

Who's laughing now, beeeaaaatch!

Buy the 640. And spend the money on the following options:

1) 2nd, slide-out shelf
2) direct Grill Grates (if you don't already have a Grate tool, get the option that adds it)
3) thermal insulating jacket (I PROMISE you'll be glad you did)
4) fitted cover (like the thermal jacket, you're in WA; methinks you get a bit of weather up there)
5) 2, count 'em 2 probe ports (you won't be sorry, even when you're just cooking for yourself)

I got all of that, delivered, with 40 lbs of pellets, for under $2K...what I paid for the Traeger all by its lonesome. I decided it was time to make an investment in myself.

I like and respect Rob Green's work (Wingman; smokingpit.com), but I'd recommend sticking with an oak-based pellet like BBQr's Delight (Yoder uses them for development and testing for a reason). Rob's current recommendation (Bear Mountain) is alder-based. Not saying they're bad. In fact, I'm sure they're WAY better than the equivalent Traeger pellet. But, they'll have lower BTUs (therefore, higher pellet consumption) than BBQr's Delight.

That said, having a local source for pellets may prove to be a scale tipper. I have no local source for food-grade pellets (yet) here in Flagstaff, so I would have to freight in whatever choice I made. BBQr's Delight, it is.

Nice to meet someone else whose money (well, what she left me :x) is once again his own!

I have a Traeger 125. Dead auger motor. Sitting out in the rain, its only purpose being a place to store my also-unused Smokenator and some extra Grill Grates.

I had a Weber Genesis E-330 gasser. It was new, and it worked, so I let the ex take it.

Bwa ha ha ha.

Next thing I did was buy a YS-640.

Who's laughing now, beeeaaaatch!

Buy the 640. And spend the money on the following options:

1) 2nd, slide-out shelf
2) direct Grill Grates (if you don't already have a Grate tool, get the option that adds it)
3) thermal insulating jacket (I PROMISE you'll be glad you did)
4) fitted cover (like the thermal jacket, you're in WA; methinks you get a bit of weather up there)
5) 2, count 'em 2 probe ports (you won't be sorry, even when you're just cooking for yourself)

I got all of that, delivered, with 40 lbs of pellets, for under $2K...what I paid for the Traeger all by its lonesome. I decided it was time to make an investment in myself.

I like and respect Rob Green's work (Wingman; smokingpit.com), but I'd recommend sticking with an oak-based pellet like BBQr's Delight (Yoder uses them for development and testing for a reason). Rob's current recommendation (Bear Mountain) is alder-based. Not saying they're bad. In fact, I'm sure they're WAY better than the equivalent Traeger pellet. But, they'll have lower BTUs (therefore, higher pellet consumption) than BBQr's Delight.

That said, having a local source for pellets may prove to be a scale tipper. I have no local source for food-grade pellets (yet) here in Flagstaff, so I would have to freight in whatever choice I made. BBQr's Delight, it is.

I use Bear Mountain as they are made in Oregon and I cant pick up a 20# bag at Cash & Carry for $9.

How did you get all of that shipped for under $2,000? I cant find a price remotely close to that from the usual suspects online or the local dealer.

And congrats on being back in control of your own destiny!

Take a look at the Cookshack PG-500 also. I love mine.

Of course, I'd also love a Yoder, but I've been incredibly happy with my PG500 and FEC100 from Cookshack.

I'm a verified pellethead through and through now having done gas and charcoal for years.

Back