Trailer Question

smokerpa

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So after months of Paul being so patient with me, I might have a major issue right before the build actually starts. I was getting a patio model built and was planning on using a U-Haul trailer to tow it back with. $125 for a trip from Bama to PA seemed like a steal in my mind.

I'm literally on the cusp of the build itself and it should be ready sometime in mid to late September. Now U-Haul tells me that they can't guarantee a trailer to be at a certain location and that they will not guarantee a trailer to stay there that far out in advance.

The only thought I had was to change a patio into a trailer, which I'm sure Paul probably is cursing me for all the other changes I wanted to make over the last several months. Damn videos and pictures.

Does anyone have any other ideas about trailer options? I didn't see any at other mover websites.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

That time of year, there are a lot of trips to collages. They are not going to not have trailers available.

You say that, but I found this weird when I was talking to them. The 5*9 utility trailer with a ramp isn't very popular where I'm from. None of them even have it in stock up here where I am. I'm not sure why, but they have lots of trucks they said. I'm not looking to drive to Alabama and pay another $900 driving a truck back. I just want the trailer.

I'm just looking to do a 36 Cannonball run. I have a search out for one with all my friends, but they are concerned with a 1,000 pound plus weight on some of the smaller trailers.

I'm just finding this hard to believe I guess. All this time, and it seems like one last hurdle.

Ask for it besides if you ever compete it would be nice and if not it would still be nice for family gatherings.

He may be ok with it just ask. It will cost more but probably worth it.

They have said the same to me on the west coast. What they also usually say is they can get one, but I may need to drive.

Not a great answer.

Not sure if they have them out there, but check out cresco or sun state. Basically any equipment rental place.

If I remember correctly Paul said they would rather build a trailer than a cart. Around me there are tons of places that rent trailers for $25 per day. They are caged on 4 sides like landscape trailers.

As for asking Paul, I did. I just hate changing stuff on him. I never talked to a nicer guy. Real class act, and patient. Tremendously patient. The idea of comps and doing gigs for friends and family is nice and something I never thought about until a buddy talked to me tonight after I discovered the problem.

I did call a local rental place that has them and they wanted a $1,000 deposit due to the distance involved from where I am to Paul. It's going to be roughly 1800 miles round trip. I can understand there reasoning. They normally rent local or at worse regionally. I wasn't upset with them.

There has to be a uhaul trailer available between you and alabama. That's a long drive and a ton of uhaul locations.

If I remember correctly Paul said they would rather build a trailer than a cart. Around me there are tons of places that rent trailers for $25 per day. They are caged on 4 sides like landscape trailers.

If I drove to Texas, I'll get brisket at all the prices you guys advertise. Will they come to PA to pick it back up. HAHA.

It would be nice if I somehow made Paul's life easier. Somehow I doubt I can do that.

There has to be a uhaul trailer available between you and alabama. That's a long drive and a ton of uhaul locations.

I didn't call any in between, just in Tuscaloosa and here where I live. They said one week out to call them back at all locations. I'm sure there are a 1,000 between Paul and me.

I told him in the email that if it's too late, I will find a trailer. I'm getting this thing. A long road to get here, that is for sure.

if you can not get one locally there hast to 100 U-Hauls on the way down there and I would think you would be all right . you do not know a buddy that might loan you their trailer ? throw it out there on your face book page if you have one , ya never know .

yeah there are more options than just U haul

don't you have any independent rental places in your area besides that one?

the other option is to just wait until its ready then rent the trailer. If they don't have one right at that moment I am sure Paul would hang onto it for a reasonable amount of time until you can snag a trailer.

I would think that if you are willing to drive a little distance to pick it up and have some level of flexibility in the actual date you drive down you'd be okay. I'm sure Paul would hang onto it for a few days after it was done without any concerns. Not sure if you have the flexibility on your end but I'm pretty sure you'd be able to come up with one in a relatively short period of time.

Agree with it being a ton cheaper to do this btw. I just reserved a trailer this morning to move my daughter to Columbus Ohio. Three day rental was $75. If I did it one way it was $550. A truck would have been $750

I would consider this..... a modified trailer with a removable tongue.... the total width outside of fenders is 53 inches.... if you go with a custom cart with golf cart wheels..... the width will be around 48 inches... the cost difference is not that bad... the time you rent a trailer.... pick it up... carry it back... and worry about getting it........ and yes pjtexas1 me and Tyler would rather build trailers... I have been building them for 35 years and can build one amazingly fast...... these are just my thoughts..... brother you can change that build a 100 times and it does not bother me..... that is what we are here for... to serve you.... get what you want......

I would consider this..... a modified trailer with a removable tongue.... the total width outside of fenders is 53 inches.... if you go with a custom cart with golf cart wheels..... the width will be around 48 inches... the cost difference is not that bad... the time you rent a trailer.... pick it up... carry it back... and worry about getting it........ and yes pjtexas1 me and Tyler would rather build trailers... I have been building them for 35 years and can build one amazingly fast...... these are just my thoughts..... brother you can change that build a 100 times and it does not bother me..... that is what we are here for... to serve you.... get what you want......

Paul is that the same trailer you made for me?

That's a nice compact unit. I thought I needed a patio model because of my storage area size but this one fits it great

here is a pic of it from the back to show you how compact it is

Attachments

• untitled711.jpg
    untitled711.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 106
Paul is that the same trailer you made for me?

That's a nice compact unit. I thought I needed a patio model because of my storage area size but this one fits it great

here is a pic of it from the back to show you how compact it is

Yes Brian that is the setup I am referring to..........Sharon pulled that to Ohio ... with her Pontiac Bonneville and met you...... those are very popular trailers....

Sounds like you have your answer!

If you don't want to go that way, maybe buy a trailer off craigslist for the haul and sell it when you are done. However I would go with a trailer form Paul.

Thanks guys for your help. I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to give me some ideas.

I just bought a 6x10 utility trailer to move a pair of Yoders to where ever I might be cooking. 1300.00 and it mine, when ever I need it.

Just saying this is an option.

Back