Wet Aged Briskets

HolySmoke77

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Can someone point me to a link, thread or site on the proper procedures, do's and dont's of wet aging? Thanks!

You could go to the custom google search bar near the bottom of this page and search, wait for it . . . wet aging.

Stick them in low traffic fridge for 28 days, in original cryovac packaging. Then off to the freezer for me, unless I have one that times out right for a comp, then I cook it that weekend.

You need to know the kill date. As Bruno said though:
Leave in the cryovac
Let it sit in a fridge, preferably one that isn't used for normal everyday things, for 28 days
I personally freeze mine first and then age, but that seems to be just a matter of opinion.

Depends on where you buy it as well. SRF's are aged 28 days before we flash freeze them.

I age to around 40-42 days, but other than that...what they said.

I disagree with the frig, you need a cooling system that has no defrost cycle, in my humble opinion.

Maybe a setup like so....

p2070001z.jpg

We age ours in a dedicated fridge for 30 days from the kill date then freeze them...average temp is 34-36 degrees. Be sure the cryovac is tight...air is your enemy. :cool:

I've gone as long as 55 days. I've heard of others going longer. They get pretty stinky after 45 days. Smells like money.

Back