Boiling ribs...

drjiveturkey

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
...in lard?

So I'm making pulled pork taco this weekend and wanted to do something different. I usually brine my butts in a basic sugar-salt brine. But tonight I came across recipes for carnitas and used that brine instead.

Water, Orange juice, lemon juice, sugar, pepper, salt. I'm still going to rub it and smoke it but was intrigued by the idea of boiling it in lard. Ideas the same, low and slow till all the connective tissue breaks down.

What is interesting is that the article mentions that if u try to do the same in any other liquid it may dry it out. The lard keeps the meat from drying out since it repels water.

I know how much this site hates to see ribs getting boiled...but what about if we boiled the ribs in lard? Has anyone tried that? Authentic carnitas are delicious and full of flavor. If it works with pork butt I would guess ribs would work too.

I don't have gallons of lard at my disposal and wouldn't even know where to get it. So tomorrow the butts going on the smoker then after I pull it I'll try to crisp it up in a pan for the tacos.

You can find lard in the meat section of the grocery store.
Hormel sells it in box the same shape as butter.
Often its just on a shelf, not refrigerated.

00050100517250.jpg

I'l like to check out the recipes .. got a link

So you want to make confit ribs? Would probably be pretty awesome. If you went any hotter than confit, I guess you'd be deep frying them (which I've heard is also pretty great)

I wouldn't do it, but I want to hear about it....please go for it.

Here is the link to the article about using lard vs broth to cook the pork butts. The recipe for the brine wasn't in there so maybe I got it off another website and just got them mixed. In any case the brine I did was juice of 2 oranges, juice of 1 lemon and 1 lime, 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup sugar. Dissolve in enough water to cover the butt. They recommended to brine for 24 hrs but I think that would be too salty. I Usually only brine for 8-10 hours

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/07/...-juicy-carnitas-without-a-bucket-of-lard.html

Can you smoke them at a low temp for a few hours and then finish them in the hot lard goodness?? :-D

So maybe it will speed up the cook from 3 hours to 1 or so but you will be giving up the smoke flavor. They may come out great as it really depends on your objective. People/restaurants Sous Vide cook stuff for days at low temps. I don't particularly like it but hey, each to their own! Just have fun and keep trying new stuff! :)

There is a Cuban place near me that cooks butts in a la caha china box until they fall apart then drops the pulled pieces into the fryer. Awesome is an understatement!

I just wanna see you do it and show us the pics.

You don't need our permission!

Cheers!

Bill

So maybe it will speed up the cook from 3 hours to 1 or so but you will be giving up the smoke flavor. They may come out great as it really depends on your objective. People/restaurants Sous Vide cook stuff for days at low temps. I don't particularly like it but hey, each to their own! Just have fun and keep trying new stuff! :)

Yeah it wouldn't be BBQ but might still be tasty. Maybe smoke it then add lard when it gets wrapped in foil? Sweet that will be next weekends rib project.

But for today, I just put my carnitas style brined butt on the smoker. I don't know how it will taste but I do like that citrus smell. I'll post finished product pron in 8-12 hours.

You can also try taking some of your smoked carnitas style butt and frying pieces of it In a frying pan to see how it tastes. Either way...or both ways...I bet you'll be eating good.

Keep the lard temp under 300 and add a 1/4 cup of lime juice before you add the ribs. I've never done ribs but I do make carnitas several times a year

image.jpg

We werent supposed to get snow till 4 or 5pm. Oh well gotta roll with the punches. Man that citrus brine make it so aromatic. Definitely going to fry this up after its close to being done. If it come out well I'm going to try to do it to the ribs.

Getting snow here as well... :tsk:

Looking forward to hearing how this turns out. Good Luck :thumb:

image.jpg

Too much snow to get lard. But that brine was killer. When I wrapped it his is the amount of fat the rendered out. Maybe don't even need lard for the pork butt. don't think the lard did anything.

image.jpg

The fruits of my labor. So good. The citrus juice doesn't add much but just enough to know something is different.

Back